Thread: 'I am the Walrus'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 'I am the Walrus'

Attached Images Attached Images

One afternoon we made a landing on a beach with a few Walrus that we had spotted from our ship, gently sleeping and doing the things Walrus's do.

You have to take it in stages when approaching them and not to flush them back into the water, once one goes, they all go. Occasionally they just pop their heads up just to note where you are, then go back down. There is also a fixed exclusion zone of 100m, if you are seen, or found to encroach on this, both ship & Guides get heavily fined, as the whole Svalbard area is patrolled and not always from obvious obvious.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus) rearing his head
    Camera: Canon 1DX
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/3200s at f/5.6 ISO640 (had been set up for some Gull 'bombing' these guys hence the SS)
    Original format: Landscape, very slight crop for presentation
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC

The eyes is 'as is' I just removed more 'Contrast' from within the RAW which chokes the detail, but it is also slightly in shade with the head turn.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - I like the turn towards camera to see what you strange creatures are up to. I also really like how well this angle shows off those long tusks. Nice details and tones. Only might blend the 3 specular highlights just to the left of the head a little bit.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- That IQ is top notch as always , lovely clean BG and the tusks of the Walrus just pops out against the backdrop. That fur of the Walrus has lovely colours and details . very nicely done .

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel & Haseeb.

Only might blend the 3 specular highlights just to the left of the head a little bit.
    No, I'm happy as it looks to clean otherwise, it just breaks up the dark grey tonally I think.

That fur of the Walrus has lovely colours and details
    Funny that, I too liked it, at actual size there is far more finer detail that comes out.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, a very nice image of this Walrus in lovely light! Nice head angle showing off those tusks as Rachel mentioned. Nice comp too. Well done and TFS. Sorry I have been out of action here due to some professional and domestic engagements ! Cheers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry I have been out of action here due to some professional and domestic engagements ! Cheers
    Thanks Sanjeev, YES, we have missed you, hope all is going well on the above and look forward to your return soon.

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Do boo be doo

Steve, detail caught, comp,processing.... superlative as always. Head turn/ tusks all covered,but that contrast (I don't mean in image making terms but visual) of walrus skin texture/ fur combined with the light set against the background is what I find stunning. Ahh mate, and those OH so important whiskers and their pattern I find entrancing.

I am utterly torn as to if in an ideal world I'd want just him or whether the others convey how they live and should be there,I simply can't make my mind up?????

Wonderful Steve,just that, 'nuff said
    take care

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Magnificent beast with great detail and texture in the fur, holds your attention as presented with the other parts of different animals showing how they pack together.Top job.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Stu & Keith, sadly this image doesn't quite convey their HUGE size and colossal weight. They may be cumbersome on land, but they are as 'graceful' as a Swan in the water.

Stu, these tusks can grow to almost a meter in length, good to defend or hunt with (however the bristles are their eyes on the sea floor, as the search for food), but can get in the way when they are in a large group .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful light, beautiful animal all captured so well. I love his bottom lip...and of course his whiskers and tusks. He looks a bit battle worn. I think you have portrayed their size and might well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glennie.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Very late here, please forgive me. Saw the thumbnail earlier but decided to save this for my after dinner treat:)

Wonderful capture of this Walrus, well exposed and the sweet light brings about amazing textures on that golden fur.

Superb POV, this is what really makes this image for me as it helps interpret the scene. The steel coloured sky adds a dark and dramatic mood, consistent with the intimidating pose from the subject.

Great techs Steve and outstanding PP work! Very original and I absolutely love the composition and presentation.

You never cease to surprise me, thank you so much for sharing - I truly enjoyed viewing!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a smooth colour palette and background here Steve.
    I really like the way the composition mimics the "golden mean" here, and how the sliver of walrus bodies below anchor the main subject.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Lifetime Member Andre Pretorius's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve

Bit late here..
    Love the comp and def- stunning!
    All I can crit on is I wish for more DOF , maybe 7,1 to get the RHS whiskers and the tips of tusks as sharp- I can understand that now that I learned about their length. Could afford that at ISO 640.
    Where was focal point?
    What was focal distance, as you state a 100m no-go zone? It means these guys are really big?! ( Related to an African Mammal?)

Sorry for the questions, my curious mind....
    Regards

Andre.

www.gappimages.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Where was focal point?
    Need to check, but probably on the RH whiskers (as viewed)

It means these guys are really big?! ( Related to an African Mammal?)
    Perhaps the size of a one year old Rhino calf, hard to say without putting them side by side, but they are big, say around 1000 - 1500kgs if that helps?