Thread: Rattlesnake Crassulla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rattlesnake Crassulla

Attached Images Attached Images

Crassulla Barklyi- known as Rattlesnake Crassulla- supposed to look like the snakes tail ! One of my favourites out of my succulent collection.
    Really hard to get the soil surface to stop in position at 90 degrees !!!
    D7100
    Sigma 50mm macro.
    100 ISO
    125th @f5
    9 stacks in ombine ZP
    Curves PSP Had to use large compression to get down to size limit.
    Cheers
    JohnR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the colors and patterns on this plant, John. It looks like it's well adapted to conserve water in a dry environment. Some of the second tier of buds (?) are a little soft - maybe one more shot in your stack would have helped. I can't decide if I like (or dislike) the OOF sand grains around the outer portion of the frame. It will be interesting to see what others think.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve
    I had a load of trouble with this one ! Fist as you will well understand- doing plants in pots is a pain.!! I did actually soften the sand to get the file down to size. It was horrendous due to the sand grains.
    I was never really happy with it and had to make loads of attempts. I will have another go. I'll get it right eventually!
    Thanks for looking
    John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the idea of softening the sand but it looks a bit odd in the UL. Maybe mess with redoing the blur. A very cute little plant, but from my familiarity with rattlesnakes (they are common in our rural neighborhood and one badly injured our neighbor's dog last summer), this is far too cute to look like the back end of one. We do have stuff we call rattlesnake grass that really does, though.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Diane. I agree the sand is a mess. Have re done one at a different angle. Will post later
    John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the 90 degree angle on this plant, with its shape leading to a pleasing composition. As Steve already noted, you seem to have missed a few steps in your sequence, leading to a few soft spots halfway the plant. I'm not sure why you blurred the sand. I could see this work with all the grains in focus.