Thread: Hello from Minneapolis Minnesota

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hello from Minneapolis Minnesota

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,
    I found this site, while searching the web for ways to improve my bird photography, this looks like the perfect place to do that!
    Though I have enjoyed the outdoors and nature for all of my 50 years, I am a novice at birding and nature photography, just starting 5 years ago. I am really enjoying it, and am collecting my pictures on a website to share with others. I was using various cheaper lenes on my Canon 7D, but finally stepped up to get a nicer lens about a month ago, the canon 100-400 ll, and it works so much better! Now I have the shutter bug really bad, and am going out just about every morning that it is nice out! Looking forward to sharing my photos and learning how to improve, and being inspired by seeing all the great work posted by you all!

MT

Great Blue Heron 4-8 Lake Harriet Minneapolis

Canon 7D Canon 100-400 ll
    f5.6
    1/1000 second
    400 iso
    processed with Lightroom cc

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Michael!

Welcome! I used to live on the other side of the river on Ford Parkway. I had only begun shooting birds like late last year and I was already in LA! I am familiar with Lake Harriett of course, but never knew there is a great blue there. Where else do you usually go birding?

This is a nice introductory picture and I am looking forward to more! I hope you stay warm, Spring is coming!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Adhika! Thanks for the welcome!
    I got a spot right below the ford dam, here there is a dead tree over hanging the cliff where lots of cool birds will stop. I got a Peregrin Falcon there a few weeks ago, and sometimes see Osprey or Turkey Vultures there. There is a Great Horned owl family by lake Hiawatha. I got to ft. Snelling state parks quite a bit, and lake Harriet is great now with many Ducks Mergansers, and Grebes there! So many more great spots, too many to list now. How about you, see anything good out your way lately?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Michael -- this is the place to learn! Looking forward to your participation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Diane! Love your profile pic! we have lots of Great Horned Owls around Minnesota, the young are just fledging from most of the nests now.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wishing you a warm welcome to BPN!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Daniel :)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome aboard, Michael ... I'm sure you will find a good home here, I have. My photography has improved a hundred fold with the honest critiques and free sharing of advice and knowledge.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph! Thanks, I agree, I am glad I stumbled onto this site :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Big, warm welcome to BPN, Michael. So glad to hear you caught the bug and you've made a good choice with the 100-400II. It's sharp and fast. You've shared a very pleasing image with us here, and I look forward to your participation on the site.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    Big, warm welcome to BPN, Michael. So glad to hear you caught the bug and you've made a good choice with the 100-400II. It's sharp and fast. You've shared a very pleasing image with us here, and I look forward to your participation on the site.
    Thanks Marina! I registered about a month ago, and have posted some images of birds on the eager to learn forum. I really like it here and think I will become a regular member soon.