Thread: Making Friends with Spotty

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Making Friends with Spotty

Attached Images Attached Images

Indifferent at first, this subadult Spotted Hyena eventually took a little interest in me. I spoke to her softly, almost whispering. She came close to my window, sniffling the air, playful and curious and so beautiful, so unafraid. She preferred shade of course, and that made it more difficult for me to capture her in all her beauty. Here are just three frames depicting her flirtatious poses as she lied down only a few metres away - a truly memorable experience, and what I enjoyed most was her daring, trusting, cub-like attitude.

Hope you enjoyed viewing, I decided to share those frames to show you that a Story Sequence does not necessarily need action. In this case I have used three images of a relatively static subject to emphasise mood and emotion. The use of a 500 mm lens was essential, helping me to get close to my subject and capture lots of expression.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely presented and well chosen images Gabriela.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Carl, appreciate you taking the time to view and comment

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela! You never cease to amaze. Images that show the passion you have. I especially like the 3rd frame. It looks like shes been playing in mud. Beautiful, soft eyes like I have seen in my own dogs...but body language that could set her hurtling off through the scrub at any minute. Is that you in the reflection of here eye?

Love it! Thank you for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Glennie!

She has been playing in mud:) And yes, very dog-like and not shy at all...rather inquisitive and bold.

Will check the reflection and let you know, it might be me

A great pleasure reading your comments and I appreciate your interest in the species - a big Thank You!

Wishing you a wonderful evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an adorable sequence. By the end you feel like befriending the hyena. A lot to like in all 3 images. The first is my fav and the last frame looks the most like a house pet, almost approachable.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Marina!

Thank you so much for looking and comments!

We did befriend this youngster, but in a remote kind of way - from the vehicle, that is!

Having had so many encounters with this species over the years, some in the Kalahari and some here in our local game reserve, I find them to be extremely inquisitive and not shy at all. Adults are quite bold, they often steal one's food from the barbecue, if unattended. We have never had any unpleasant encounters with the Spotties so far. We try keep a safe distance from them, although on one occasion I was quite irresponsible and allowed one adult female to get too close: I was seated on the concrete floor of the A frame (we were camping in the KTP) and this old girl came to investigate, she slowly crept closer and we ended up less than a metre away from each other. I could see my reflection in her large black eyes, it was fascinating. I picked up the videocamera and switched it on, looking through the viewfinder. Was battling with the lack of proper light though, so I took my time to try and focus on her. Andre realised the situation was getting a bit out of control; afraid she was going to take a bite of my face, he intervened by chasing her away. I have later learnt not to underestimate them, having seen the strength and agility they possess. This character here is young but obviously not a pup, he certainly posed no threat as we stayed in our vehicle and enjoyed watching him approach and then settle down to sleep only a few meters from us.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow she does seem to be making a connection with you in some way. Subtle but powerful images Gabriela!

9. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Allen!

I love the species tremendously. So interesting to observe and photograph, and they do not fear humans one bit

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Allen Sparks thanked for this post