Thread: Shorebird ID confirmation: least sandpiper?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Shorebird ID confirmation: least sandpiper?

This image was taken during my first year of bird photography. Back then, I could barely tell a sandpiper from an egret... On top of that, this image was taken in the Los Angeles area (december) while I live in the eastern part of Canada. Perfect scenario for a failed identification.

So back then, I tagged this one as a least sandpiper. But today I was browsing my images and it caught my attention. I would still consider it to be a least sandpiper, based on the shape, the yellowish legs and the slightly curved bill. But there is something different when I compare it to my other least images. This one has a significant dark band on the chest, and it seems to lack the rufous colors of every other least I've seen so far near home.

Am I missing something? Or is there such differences between western and eastern individuals?

Name:  _MG_7924-Edit.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  116.7 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a basic plumage adult Least Sandpiper. Adults in the spring can appear much warmer and juveniles in the fall can be downright orangey, especially early in the season like August.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting. Thanks for the info.