Thread: Little Owl

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Just starting to try and find my little fellows and from what I have seen, last years parents have gone and it's the broad from last year that are around, but time will tell. Very skittish at present and using some new lookouts which is keeping me on my toes.

Not a shot perhaps that many may favour, but this was the adult from last year and where I had gone through a phase of 'textures' i.e. the soft plumage juxtapose to the rusty old milk churn. The bales of hay provided a soft backdrop to offset the image I thought?

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua) Adult on milk churn
    Camera: Canon 1DX
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1250s at f/5.6 ISO1250
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop
    Processed via: LRCC (2015) & PSCC 2015

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don,t understand why (Not a shot perhaps that many may favour) I like the clean simplicity of the image with the nice Little Owl with super feather detail surveying it's next flight path,only thing I might like to change and that is the handle of the churn that's seems to pull my eye a little bit ,can't really explain why.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

(Not a shot perhaps that many may favour)
    Man made objects rather than nature - but just my take Keith, although it has been a little money spinner.

I might like to change and that is the handle of the churn that's seems to pull my eye a little bit ,can't really explain why.
    Being slightly darker, thin/vertical, perhaps having a slight 'window' of the bales coming through the 'handle' may have helped??? I felt it should be there to convey more the 'milk churn' but who knows, worth a punt.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very clean file, complimentary colours throughout. I quite like the milk churn, before you started photographing them on churns I doubt if many people had ever seem them in such locations for that reason I feel the churn is merit worthy. The DOF is just about spot on maybe a tiny bit more would have been good but I sense you wanted to keep the background very much out of focus. I like the image and I like the visible foot too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image. I love the milk churn:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The churn works for me too. I like the details in the wing feathers and clean sharp eye

BG works very well too

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure if I explained myself very well Steve ,I do like the rusty churn with the cobwebs,it just it's handle but after saying this no big deal and does not take anything away from a smashing image.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image Steve, love the browns throughout the image. Great pose on the bird. I wonder if that milk churn is older than you

TFS

Will

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

I have always been a great fan of your owl images so I am absolutely delighted to find another one!

This is very inspirational and so well suited for a book or magazine cover, given the expression from the subject and perfect HA. A little sulky and almost teasing, this little owl is so full of character and so attractive. I see clearly what draws you to this special place, spending time with those owls must be an amazing experience.

Very original perch suggestive of a garden environment and those cobwebs add character. I think the owlets love it:) Subject well placed in the frame and I really like the vertical format. Wonderful detail and colours as well as sharpness, superb IQ - picture perfect Steve!
    Thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wonder if that milk churn is older than you
    Not not quite Will, but I might be a bit more 'rusty' in parts, as this years skiing took a bit of a toll on the knees, but the eyes are certainly not failing and are just as sharp as ever, they don't miss a trick.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely, what a chubby Little Owl. The milkjug, the cobwebs, the background all compliment the owl. I am just making my reservations to head south the first week of May to spend time with the Burrowing Owls in Florida. Thank you for sharing, Steve.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure if I explained myself very well Steve
    Hi Keith, it's perhaps one of those things that is easier to have a conversation about, than to put into words, plus I can expand on the shot too. Considering it was just in the field, it's weathered nicely I think. I'm sure it will surface again at some point.

Evening Gabriela, thank you for the kind words and as I have said before, you are in the wrong job, your skill set is really writing.

I see clearly what draws you to this special place, spending time with those owls must be an amazing experience.
    Some may say too much time, you know how long and this year is going to be tough one based on recent weeks, plus commitments to other locations, but perhaps a Pel's, Pearl-Spotted or Scops may be in the offing if I'm lucky, although have only seen the Verreaux at night, can I place my order with you, as Stu has laid on the Pied KF hopefully deep in the Delta.

Watch this space.

13. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am just making my reservations to head south the first week of May to spend time with the Burrowing Owls in Florida. Thank you for sharing, Steve.
    Good for you, looking forward to seeing the results Joe, just think about those Techs, SS & DoF as you have got a lot more under your belt since last time and the PP can just expand on the cool captures.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve you are absolutely right

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve besides my beloved man made or human left overs in images like this , i really like this .
    As always great use of kit and very well processed .
    Love the back profile with the side look of the subject .
    I am with Keith the handle could go

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve. You know I like to write, and maybe I do it quite well sometimes - but only when wildlife is involved! Give me a great image and I shall spend an entire evening writing a critique about it, such a thrill:) I wish things were different and I did not have to earn a living out of Pharmacy and retail... I admit I spend most of my afternoons/evenings giving feedback, rather than than doing PP on my images...I just enjoy it:)

Regarding handle: it is needed there to balance the frame, from an aesthetic POV

Have a lovely week-end,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, love the soft light, and I really like your angle of capture showing only one eye. Great detail all round, and I feel your choice of going vertical has turned out well. I feel the churn without the handle wouldnt work as presented.

You can order as many Pied Kingfishers as you want. Sadly with Pilanesberg completely dry, its a disappointing location at the moment. Im sure you will find more than Pied's in the Delta.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I am with Keith the handle could go
    Just as an option Andreas (but it stays), here it is without the handle, could be an issue to pick it up perhaps ?

Give me a great image and I shall spend an entire evening writing a critique about it, such a thrill:)
    Once you get things set up it Bots Gabriela, I'll provide you with lots to write about and some PP.

Im sure you will find more than Pied's in the Delta.
    Worrying times Stu, but at least the Politicians have their swimming pools! Yes I have been monitoring things for the last three months, but seems the rain have come, but to what degree I still need to find out. Went the other way a while back in Savuti, when the rains came, all the tracks were under water, game moved on, but new species can in, especially water based - kept the Guides & Trackers on their toes, as they needed to study hard again.

Thanks again folks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No delays...Bring them on, I am ready to start on Monday, Sir

Re: this owl image, kindly put the handle back or I'll clone one in, LOL

Have a great week-end, Steve!
    Gabriela Plesea