Thread: Fuji XT1 to dSLR

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fuji XT1 to dSLR

As i mentioned in my introduction (signed up yesterday) I currently use a Fuji XT1 with 50-140mm far from ideal. When I purchased the XT1 about 2 years ago I mainly into close up/macro, travel and landscapes. Things have changed as Ive become addicted to wildlife photograph, mainly birds. The XT1 is a fantastic camera for everything but sport/moving wildlife as the continuous focus and tracking is extremely poor compared to dSLR and the XT1 doesn't have true back button focus. Ive thought about getting the Fuji 100-400mm and tele converter with the expectation that the XT2 will "solve" the poor tracking/continuous focus issue but its a bit of a gamble as I would take a big financial hit selling the near new gear. The dSLR seems a much safer and more reliable solution at this stage.

Before the XT1 I had Pentax K3 which I loved but at the time no 400+mm lens. I've also rented d7200, 7d mark 2 and d750.

Ideally I would like a dSLR with ergonomics I like, excellent AF, long lenses, good low light performance and tilt screen (not for birding for great for macro and getting low on landscapes)..

The 2 cameras with the best ergonomics (for me) are the Pentax K3(ii) and the Canon 7d mk2. Pentax doesn't have as good a AF system as the other brands but still light years ahead of XT1. The 7dmk2 amazing AF but the sensor has more noise at high ISO than the other manufacturers and less DR.
    The 2 Nikons D7200 and D750 I just love the image quality but I don't like where the AF-ON (back button focus) is placed as its a slight stretch for my shortest fingers and gets tiring after a period of shooting. The D750 tilt screen is ideal but I loose reach going FF but gain a improve ISO performance..

On paper the D500 looks like the best choice. The ergonomics look more like the 7d mk2/k3 with the AF button closer to the right, it has a tilt screen and its a crop sensor. The 2 issues are 1). its a new sensor and therefore low light performance i unknown and 2) the price... ~$2900 here in Australia.

The next question is get a 80-400mm lens and use a tele converter when required. Alternatively go with 200-500 (nikon) or 150-600 sigma (canon/nikon). I believe the 80-400 zooms focus faster than the longer zooms which is the reason I have them on the table as an option..

So what would be the best way to go?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Anthony,

you came to the right place fro advice!

I also had a Fuji X-T1 which I sold recently. I used it for portraits only but recently it became too frustrating when I started to photograph our dog with it. Fuji and all mirror-less cameras for that matter are basically a joke when it comes to AF tracking, despite what the internet fans and some review websites claim. This is partly a rather fundamental technical limit of having on-sensor AF vs. dedicated phase-detect AF sensor. So it's wise to abandon that route.

If you are serious about wildlife photography and don't want to waste your money don't consider investing in brands other than Canon or Nikon. In future if you want to up your game and move to a super-telephoto setup or a pro body your choice is one of these two. You won't find that many wildlife photographers with cameras other than Canon or Nikon.

I would recommend the 7D Mark II for what you want. It isn't as clean or as sharp as a FF camera such as a the 5D or the 1D series but it's pretty good for a crop-sensor. It compares well with other crop-sensor cameras on the market despite the word of "internet experts". The high ISO noise and low light DR of 7D2 relevant to bird photography is, if not better, comparable. I have one and I use it as a backup to my 1DX. I find it pretty good up to ISO 1250-1600 with proper exposure and optimal post-processing using Canon DPP for conversion of RAW files. At $1500 it's really great value for money. The Nikon D7200 is a low end body and doesn't really stack up against the 7D2, it falls short in AF, speed and buffer, it will be frustrating if you want to shoot action with it. I'm sure the new D500 will be a comparable alternative if you want Nikon though. The main issue with Nikon is that they don't really offer entry-level lenses that are as good as the Canon 100-400 II IS or even the 400 f/5.6.

For lens on a budget I would recommend the Canon 100-400 MK II, it has great optics and AF. It will be a bit slow with the 1.4X (f/8) on the 7D2 but it will work for perched birds. You will find many great examples of this combination in the avian forum.

good luck
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 03-31-2016 at 12:09 AM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash,

I would love a 1DX mark ii or D5 but I really can't justify the $$$. Given your experience with both crop and FF bodies do the Pro bodies AF system "drive" the lenses faster than say a crop body with "lesser" hardware? So would I get better performance with a FF with 150-600 vs a crop body with the same less i.e. 150-600? Obviously the FF has less reach but better low light images and better AF in low light which I can see as a big advantage in "getting" shot.

Have you used the Sigma 150-600 Sport ? Its getting good reviews (but its a heavy beast)

Thanks again
    Cheers
    Anthony

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anthony,

First, let me debunk a common myth. "Reach" has really nothing to do with the sensor size. It's only the pixel size that determines how many pixels you get on your subject from a given distance. For e.g. the Full-frame 5DSR has more reach than any other crop camera currently on the market. Also a 400 f/4 lens on a crop sensor will never become a 600 f/4 lens on a FF camera. the latter has a much larger physical aperture and collects 2.25X more light at the same FOV. They are not equal.

Regarding AF, the pro bodies do drive the servo faster, in part due to better hardware and in part due to higher voltage battery. However this is only true with Canon lenses that feature a modern high-speed USM and a CPU that can talk to the camera. I never use third-party lenses, so I can't comment on Sigma.

Best,
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 03-31-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Thompson View Post
    Have you used the Sigma 150-600 Sport ? Its getting good reviews (but its a heavy beast)
    I know several people using the various Tamron and Sigma 150-600 lenses. They are mostly very happy, but maybe 1/3 move up to a Canon 500/f4, or something similar when they can afford it. The Canon 100-400mm II is sharper at 400mm, but then it gives you nothing at 600mm. The 7D MkII, combined with a 150-600mm is a very popular unit. For many, it's a "starter" and many stick with it for a long time. In general, more money gets you better IQ. Most of us step in at a lower level and move up as our budget allows and our interest grows. Consider buying used and the depreciation you'll suffer on resale will be minimized.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Stephens View Post
    The Canon 100-400mm II is sharper at 400mm, but then it gives you nothing at 600mm.
    I am not sure what you mean. you can use the 100-400 II + extender 1.4X III. That will give you 640mm f/8. It's not the fastest and sharpest combo but my guess is it is still sharper than a third-party zoom lens. The Canon build quality and weather sealing is also superior.

best

Visit my blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Hi Anthony,

First, let me debunk a common myth. "Reach" has really nothing to do with the sensor size. It's only the pixel size that determines how many pixels you get on your subject from a given distance. For e.g. the Full-frame 5DSR has more reach than any other crop camera currently on the market. Also a 400 f/4 lens on a crop sensor will never become a 600 f/4 lens on a FF camera. the latter has a much larger physical aperture and collects 2.25X more light at the same FOV. They are not equal.

Regarding AF, the pro bodies do drive the servo faster, in part due to better hardware and in part due to higher voltage battery. However this is only true with Canon lenses that feature a modern high-speed USM and a CPU that can talk to the camera. I never use third-party lenses, so I can't comment on Sigma.

Best,
    Thanks Arash. I used the wrong wording and I'm well aware of the physics of lenses, apertures...etc.

In a few years when the mortgage is payed off Ill be looking at one of the 500mm or 600mm f4 primes.. Until then I can easily rent one when I need them..

Im going to hire a 7d mk2 and a couple of lenses late next week and see how I go...