Thread: New Australian member

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default New Australian member

G'Day everyone,

I would class myself as a nature photographer. I enjoy landscapes, macro (flowers and bugs) and wildlife. In recent months I've found myself shooting more and more birds. I think I've got the bug..
    So I've signed up here to get critics in order to improve my photography, especially bird images.. I also enjoy commenting on others images as in the end we all improve..

One of the issues I've been having is lack of reach as I currently only have a 50-140mm f2.8 so I have to get really close and do some heavy cropping in most cases.. Not ideal.. The other issue is I'm currently shooting a Fuji XT1. The XT1 produces great images but its continuous focus and "tracking" , are far from acceptable.. So as much as I like the XT1 for landscape and the rest of my photography it is really causing me to miss MANY shots that I would easily get on a dSLR. So ill be looking at getting a more appropriate camera i.e. dSLR, to shoot birds with..

I look forward to becoming an active member on BPN....

Cheers.
    Anthony

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anthony, welcome to BPN!! Yep, a DSLR is pretty much a must for bird photography. 140mm is very short for that too. It's not impossible otherwise, but once you do get that type of gear you will not want to look back...and the "bug" will get even bigger!! Looking forward to your participation :-)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome, Anthony! You'll find great gear information here, and much valuable information about shooting great images. Look forward to your participation!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Diane.. Ive already been reading through the gear threads....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN, Anthony. I can understand how you caught the bug...many of us have!!! One lens I think you may wish to consider when you decide to go for more reach is the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. It won't break the bank and it's a good lens. Consider it when weighing your options. Look forward to your participation.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook