Thread: Long-tailed shrike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long-tailed shrike

Attached Images Attached Images

This image of a female Long-tailed Shrike was created in Mabalingwe nature reserve, South Africa, during the dry of winter with bleak washed-out skies. Canon 1DIV, EF 300 IS II + 1.4TCIII, f8, 1/500, ISO 100, lens rested on car window, PP in CS6. Comments welcome.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gerhard, This is a very different looking bird than what goes for long-tailed shrike around here. Other than the obvious interference of the branches, it is a sharp, well-exposed image to me. I like the texture on the black feathers which have come out nicely. Ihtisham

3. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gerhard:

I like the open bill, impressive tail. The clutter around and behind the head is a bit distracting.

The blacks show nice detail, but the whites seem a bit gray to my eye, perhaps bump them up just a bit.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

5. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely new bird for me, and looks to be well exposed with nice details. I like the fact that the eye has a catch light. That said, the twigs across and around the head are a deal breaker for me.

Do you generally photograph your birds at ISO 100 with this camera? My "go to" ISO on the same body is 800. With bird photography, I find it's always good to be ready for action. You would have had a tough time getting enough shutter speed for this dark bird taking off from its perch with an ISO 100.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    Lovely new bird for me, and looks to be well exposed with nice details. I like the fact that the eye has a catch light. That said, the twigs across and around the head are a deal breaker for me.

Do you generally photograph your birds at ISO 100 with this camera? My "go to" ISO on the same body is 800. With bird photography, I find it's always good to be ready for action. You would have had a tough time getting enough shutter speed for this dark bird taking off from its perch with an ISO 100.
    Thanks for your comments. Thorny bush is typical habitat for this species, getting one in the open is exceptional. ISO 100 is obviously not ideal for action but that was not the intention at the time as it would have dived down into even more dense twigs to follow prey or seek cover. Understanding one's subject helps a lot to dictate settings.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't mind the twigs as they convey a natural setting and don't really detract from viewing the bird. Definitely a shot that is better to get than not.

9. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat bird and good composition. Well exposed, and it looks like you had nice light. Artistically the many twigs are unfortunate. I would also have preferred the head angled more towards us. As for the ISO, the 1DIV has awesome IQ, so keeping the ISO up higher gives you the benefit of maintain good image quality plus giving you enough shutter speeds for potential and unexpected action.

11. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto Dan. I'd be fine with all the twigs but for the one just below the eye... a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

13. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments, much appreciated and helpful as always.