Thread: Its a matter of perspective - tree swallow

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Its a matter of perspective - tree swallow

Attached Images Attached Images

This tree swallow was captured this AM at the local bird sanctuary. I was working the trumpeter swans and scaups when a tree swallow landed on the unattractive wooden railing and sat for a while. I think he was looking for the apartment building put out by the sanctuary each year. It wasn't up yet, however. Although a pretty bird, the perch was very unappealing. So, I slid around to the side, put my lens right on top of the railing and shot along the railing at him. What really helped was a thick layer of frost, which didn't show up as much when looking perpendicular to the railing, but when shooting along the railing, it softened the effect significantly.

D4 Sigma 150-600 Sport, f/6.3 1/1600s, ISO 800.

Post. very slight crop for comp, lifted the shadows on his back, selective sharpening, toned down the highlights on breast/throat area.

No blurring of fore or background, or other processing. Isolation simply a matter of very long focal length and perspective.

There is some noise in the darkest shadows.

I felt it was a good example of working the situation to make the most of it. Shooting more handheld has encouraged changing points of view and working different perspectives vs. being on a tripod all the time.

Advice and comments appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, sweet light and something different, a similar comment I had made to one of Artie's images.

I am very surprised to hear that there is some noise in the darks, especially at 800, did you lift them then? I do like the OOF FG/BKG, I just wonder if, as an alternative, the two should be blended without the middle of the 'sandwich' being sharp? Very dramatic lighting, used to good effect and the colour palette also works nicely IMHO.
    Something different!!!!

Shooting more handheld has encouraged changing points of view and working different perspectives vs. being on a tripod all the time.
    Certainly creates a lot more opportunities than the obvious and often pedestrian POV. Lets see more.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

I did lift the shadows some. I looked for a while at the sharp line in the perch. This is where two sections of the railing come together. On balance, I left it because it acted as a leading line towards the subject. Personal taste/artistic license, all that stuff!

Thanks for the comments

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, either way, it's a refreshing image and I've enjoyed it.

Always hard to expose when the White & Blacks are polls apart and you have to make a judgement call in which direction to go.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy it's a clever piece of work on your part would never of thought of doing this,Frost and snow don't normally go together but it's all worked perfectly on this lovely shot.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy,incredibly clever thought work, wonderful execution of technique, blacks and white together..... irridecence . This one I will look at more than once.Very inspiring Randy words fail.
    Cheers for the education !!

take care

Stu

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great idea and a lovely tonal range, very unusual and equally appealing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well seen, very creative, and well executed. Bird and all other photography is very much about where you put yourself before pressing the shutter button... a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always nice to try something different. Good thinking, and execution, in the field.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You really worked hard to find a way to make this image work, Randy, and you succeeded. Your bird has nice details and is showcased nicely. The color palette is lovely, and I like how the curves of the railing draw the eye to your bird!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

always fun when trying something different works out!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am a little late to this party... lovely and creative image. Thank you for sharing, Randy.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

very cool Randy,

Did you have to sharpen this much, it looks a bit less sharp than you usual files with Nikon lenses.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash:

I actually used less sharpening than usual for this image, as I am still developing a feel for what the Sigma needs. The bird was quite close as well, and I haven't had time to use the USB dock to fine tune at all distances and zoom levels, so I think I can improve it further over time.

Thanks for the comment and question.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS