Thread: Fluffed up pintail hen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fluffed up pintail hen

Name:  Pintail hen preening 1 012.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  391.9 KBThis little lady was having quite a vigorous clean-up. 7D MII,EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6,ISO640,f/8,1/1600,tripod

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured preening pose almost got the preen gland,good feather detail and all looks sharp,tiny nit would love to see more light in the eye and maybe a catch lite.Very nice piece of work.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice shot in good light and the low view adds to the intimacy of this image. The stick projecting from the left is a bit distracting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bob, Are you familiar with the phrase, "Point your shadow at the bird? a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the comments folks. I am Arthur, thanks to you, but unfortunately this bird was on the log out in a pond so no other approach was possible. What I try to do in such situations is to wait until the bird positions itself with the most pleasing lighting I can envision ( such as the face being lit up as it is here ) given the angle of exposure,again thanks to your many comments about waiting for the right head angle.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good Bob, Just checking. Unfortunately when you opt to make images in difficult lighting situations, especially with off- angled light, the results are predictable: harsh shadows, to high contrast, and uneven lighting... As with your image above. It also looks to me as if the face and head are over-sharpened. Best, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.