Thread: Sell Canon 7D mrk II or no?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sell Canon 7D mrk II or no?

Hello
    I have a Canon 1dx and 500 F.4 sis I , Canon 300 f.2,8 I and I would like buy a 100/400 Is II.
    I sold a year ago my Canon %D mark III to avoid to buy a 600 f.4 using cropping of the 7D Mark II.
    So when I have few light I use DX when I ned nore long lens and no too much iso I use 7D Mark II...but the file of the 7d Mark II no are the same of the 5D Mark III.
    My idea could be sell the 7D mark II and buy 5D Mark 3 RS (in accordance with the very interesting notices by Arthur...) of couse less number of shoots but I hope more details and I will no loose the availabilty to crop in camera.
    What you think about ?
    Off course before I will wait Canon 5D Mark IV...
    Gio

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

In my limited experience with both cameras (I owned the 7Dii for a few months before selling it in favour of the the 5DSr) the main difference is that the 5DSr captures just as much detail as the 7dii, but on a much larger sensor. There may be slight differences in favour of the 5 in terms of focusing accuracy / consistency, and possibly, from what I have read, the high iso files of the 5 maybe easier to work with / clean up better...my opportunities to get out with it properly have been limited thus far so I haven't been able to test this myself.

Both cameras are excellent birding tools, but I would only swap the 7Dii for the 5DSr if you really want full frame, as that is the only major advantage. For this you lose the 10fps and get a buffer which fills up more quickly, but a frame filling bird at 50mp really is a sight to behold!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The 5DsR is good camera, I spent the last few days shooting with it. IQ is good when the light is good (as long as you can keep the ISO below 1600), the files have a lot of detail if the focus is perfect. The major drawback for the 5DsR is that it is a very slow camera. Not just the fps but also the shutter lag, operation, image review etc. It's not really for volume shooting. With my 400 DO II + 2X III the AF wasn't really suitable for flight. It would try to focus then give up and stop whereas my 1DX locks and fires like a machine gun. So overall, despite its advantages, it's not my cup of tea for bird/wildlife photography. Artie likes it though...

As for the 7D2, it's a jack of all trades but master on none. I have been trying it for a while as a back up to my 1DX. The IQ isn't as good as the 5DsR, that is if you crop the 5DsR image to the same FOV as the 7D2 you will get a higher quality image when using optimal RAW processing with Canon DPP4. The reason behind this is that 5DSR cancel the effect of the low pass filter on the sensor, it also has a better color filter all leading to sharper files. The 7D2 AF isn't bad and it's pretty quick at 10 fps, but then again, it isn't close to the 1DX when it comes to challenging subjects. I usually find myself reaching for the 1DX after trying either of these bodies for a bit...and then everything suddenly feels at home.

So overall for me the story starts and ends with the 1DX and soon 1DX II. If the birds are too far the solution is not cropping out of more mega pixels with a short lens. After too much cropping and when a bird is too far, the image will look soft and lack in fidelity/detail, even with the 5DsR. You need to work on your field technique and learn how to approach the birds, or travel to locations that are better for bird photography than where you live...

good luck

best
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

here is an example from 5dsr http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...etails-(5Ds-R)

keep in mind to get this kind of detail bird has to be close (coot was ~ 8m away) the image is 80% of the original frame.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot arash..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I own both the 5DsR and the 7D MkII and, after some experimentation, I use the 7D MkII for all bird-in-flight shooting. At ISO 800 and below, the files are practically the same, up to 200%. The 5DsR is excellent for landscape, travel, portraits, street, etc., but it's slow, due to file size.

I agree with everything Arash said.