Thread: Lesser Coucal

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lesser Coucal

Attached Images Attached Images

This one came out of nowhere as I was leaving a birding scene at dusk catching me unprepared. I underexposed the image severely. Also, there was a headphone wire dangling from the leg which I clone-healed out (in subsequent shots the wire is gone - he dropped it I suppose.) I have been trying for several months to get a good shot of one of these without much luck.

I am wondering if it is worth putting in some heavy-duty PS work to clean up this image (and this would be a pro not me doing the work.) I have done basic levels, some nr, and slight color correction but I know more expert time spent with PS would improve it somewhat.

It's not *that* rare around here, but very very shy and jumps into the bushes at the first sign of interest. So to get another like this will take me several months at least.

1/1600 s/ f4/ ISO 4000/ 1dm4+500mmf4II.

Thanks for any thoughts, comments, critiques, etc. Ihtisham

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ihtisham:

As hard as it is sometimes to let go of an image that you have been trying to capture, I am afraid this one can't be improved enough to be truly presentable, regardless of the photoshop work. Noise, lack of detail, angled away slightly.

I do like the full downstroke pose, the feet showing.

So, I would say, use it for inspiration to keep trying, but don't expect to be able to save it.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose, but the IQ has suffered greatly here, the image is soft and has no details at all.

I doubt if it can be saved but do you have the RAW file?
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy and Arash are right on all the aspects of this photo. Don't waste your time working this image as it has to many flaws to fix. Spend your time outdoors trying to perfect your exposure and flight technique instead of working on an image that wasn't exposed properly.
    I don't do much PP on my images but I am critical about getting everything as right as possible "In Camera". I stress this to my friends and clients and once you master this aspect, the rest is a piece of cake. I know he caught you by surprise and it looked to be pretty dark when you shot this. Keep working it!
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ihtisham, this is what I call nearly shot, it was nearly in focus and it was nearly in the right position but it wasn't exposed correctly so at the risk of being repetitive I would say it is alright to practice some PP skills with but as the old expression goes you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. It will never be sharp and it will always be flying away from you. Hope I don't sound too brusque it is not intended.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Why such a tight crop?? a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash, Yes, I have the RAW file... did you want to take a look?

Randy, Arash, David, Jonathan, Many thanks for your feedback. Sometimes you just gotta cut the umbilical cord and move forward. Sometimes it takes several other voices to convince you of this. Ihtisham

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, no reason in particular other than it seemed to fit in the square format (which I need) - I will try a looser crop to see if that works. Ihtisham

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ihtisham Kabir View Post
    Arash, Yes, I have the RAW file... did you want to take a look?

Randy, Arash, David, Jonathan, Many thanks for your feedback. Sometimes you just gotta cut the umbilical cord and move forward. Sometimes it takes several other voices to convince you of this. Ihtisham
    yes post the RAW so we can see what the original looked like

Visit my blog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I tried uploading both CR2 and dng - got an error message "files uploaded were too large to process".

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I tried uploading both CR2 and dng - got an error message "files uploaded were too large to process".
    you can't upload RAW files here, you need to upload them to a different hosting site and post the link

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, no reason in particular other than it seemed to fit in the square format (which I need) - I will try a looser crop to see if that works. Ihtisham
    The greater the crop, the poorer the resulting image quality... a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.