Thread: Juvenile Peregrine Falcon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Peregrine Falcon

Attached Images Attached Images

This photo was from August 2015 from a blind at a peregrine falcon eyrie. Was fortunate to have this juvenile peregrine bathe in an evening shower just as the rain started to fall. Within a very short time the rain started falling so heavily the falcon was obscured and soaked.

Canon 7D II | 300mm F2.8 + 1.4X | 1/320 | F5.6 | ISO800

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon it sure looks like heavy rain which you have caught very well, think it's a very nice pose with the outstretched wings and puffed up feathers, been very picky and hardly worth mentioning in an ideal world which of course it is not, the perch obscuring the wing is a bit of a shame. Think this is an excellent image that I would love to have taken.
    PS have you any of the soaked Peregrine? Would like to see .

Keith.
    Last edited by keith mitchell; 03-09-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent pose with an absolutely perfect head turn. I love the inclement weather, and the neat vegetation adorning the perch. I would have liked to have seen the subject a bit lower in the frame as it feels cramped up there, and there is perhaps a bit of a magenta cast to the plumage. Super all around, with just a couple of easy minor tweaks to give additional points :-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon:

A big welcome to BPN! Great way to start out. Excellent wing and tail display, perfect head turn for a look back pose like this.

Rain amount just right. Tells the story without blocking too many details. Well exposed and sharp.

I see Keith's point about the wing tip being blocked by the perch, still works for me.

You might consider a version with just a small amount cropped off the bottom, just above your sig a bit. Personal taste really.

Looking forward to more. Congrats.

Cheers

Randy

PS: Daniel and I were typing at the same time, so sorry for duplications
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh, and welcome to BPN indeed!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And from me a very warm welcome.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN. This is a fabulous first post. Great head turn as noted above, lovely perch, shutter speed to show the rain to perfection. Yes to a bit more room above, less below, if you have it. And I also wondered about a bit of magenta cast. Those are nits that don't detract from a great shot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The primary feathers and coverts take on an armor-like appearance almost like a pangolin. Very interesting perspective to see all of the dorsal feathers of a peregrine. I like the soft background, pose, perch and I especially appreciate the artistic value of the image with the slowed motion raindrops. One of the best! steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN. I must say this is a great looking first post. Very cool that you caught her in this nice pose soaking up the rain. Nice head turn and I like the perch with the moss and lichen on it. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey John,

Welcome to BPN and thanks a stack for your membership support. This is a killer frame; the rain is rendered perfectly (from where I sit). And the look back head angle rocks. Perch, EPP, and SH are all as quite excellente. One negative was the result of bad luck: the bird's right wing merges ever-so-slightly with the perch. Let's see more! a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the welcome and feedback, I've been lurking on here for a while and have learned a lot. Here's a repost of the peregrine in the rain...I took a little off the bottom and attempted to reduce the slight magenta cast from the bird's plumage. I should have mentioned the first image was full-frame, I should have cropped it a little bit but it's not often I get to use all the pixels available! ;)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful frame Jon, welcome to 'the place' to be in If all your images are going to be half as good as this, I look forward to viewing them.

Love the details on the bird, and the lovely HA. the rain takes it up a notch, and what a pose.

Well done, and thanks for sharing.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, welcome to BPN. Beautiful bird, nicely shown. I echo all the previous comments. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

lovely first post, this is a very desirable frame with the perch, top side details down to the moss on the perch. repost took care of the magenta cast, I only would have wished for a bit more space on the sides

welcome and excellent first post!
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Jon,very nice first post.great pose and head angle,sharp with good detail,love the rain drops and the lichen on the perch.TFS.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All been said that I can only repeat!. Great image

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the peregrine shots, the rain makes this special. I like the original post better

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an Brilliant Image to have in the collection ...... Loved every aspect of it ......
    The spread wing,Bg,Bird,Details,perch,And plus is Rain ....
    What an Image..... TFS.