Thread: American Wigeon Portrait.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Wigeon Portrait.

Attached Images Attached Images

We've been blessed with a few overwintering ducks this year (excluding the ever-present and numerous mallards), including a pair of very accommodating American Wigeons. As I love tight clean head and shoulder portraits I made sure to taker a few of those of both the male and the female. The fast running waters of the river make for pretty cool bow wakes, which makes for interesting and fun image selection for editting.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, natural light, handheld, 1/1250s., f/8, ISO 800, pretty much FF, toned down the bright "bald plate" which had a few blinkies at time of exposure.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

Sharp and nicely exposed as presented, with perfect head angle, nice eye. The blues in the water are even a pretty fair match to the bill!

Good shooting angle.

Subtle but very enjoyable.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice portrait shot, excellent details, Daniel.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Most of all I like the richness of textures, which come out so well thanks to your technical mastery of the details. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your right about the bow wave Dan it does look good, I would find it impossible to find a fault with the duck itself ,excellent detail and exposure and the eye is spot on.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Magnificent portrait,Daniel Sir. Love the super fine feather detailed,lovely colors and composition.

Regards,
    Satish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent low angle and pose. Fine feather details are great. The whole bird looks slightly over exposed to me. The green should be more of a deep teal green. The russet color is not as pale as depicted either. I think bringing the exposure down would help.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, you may be right about the image being a touch bright. The green, however, is accurate to the way I saw it: depending on the head angle and light angle I've seen it shift from deep orange/yellow to teals and greens and everything in between .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree Daniel and don't think I worded that correctly . I think the color is accurate but it is just a bit over exposed to my eye. Typical with any iridescent feathers, the color changes dramatically depending on your angle. Of course there are times of the year, after breeding that the males will molt into their "eclipse" plumage. When this happens they are molting their flight feathers and can not fly. This is the plumage they most closely resemble the drab females and helps them with camouflage. So depending on their state of molt, that green can will change as well. Now they will be in full breeding plumage as you have beautifully captured.

10. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post