Thread: Barn owl on a post in daylight

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barn owl on a post in daylight

I have plenty of Barn owl flight shots but one shot I always like to get in my collection is the post shot,i find this shot more challenging than flight shots as you have to be set up (to get close) and be prepared to take a gamble on what post the bird will land on ,this is one of four post this bird will land on at some part of the day ,this I know as I pass this bird on this post before first light on my way to another site (and on my way home ),after it went quiet at the other site I got myself set up, I couldn't get any closer because of a wide and deep ditch so I had to put the x1.4 on the 400mm 5.6 and go hand held sat down behind a tree ..Luckily the bird landed but not long enough for me to try to get his attention for a full head on shot but considering it could have been a couple of hours before he landed again I was happy to get this shot in broad daylight .Canon 1d mkiv 400mm 5.6 with the x1.4 iso 800 1/1250 sec +1/3 ev F8 handheld Name:  Barn-owl-6th-March-2016-(1-of-1)-11.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  243.1 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Den
    That,s another really nice picture.That bit of light has made all the difference. The detail on the bird is good and Ilove the way the barbed wire has toned down the bleak and artificial aspect of the perch. Grass works well too. All in all
    a grand effort.
    John

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one Dennis, your field craft is certainly paying off. The pose is pleasing the owl perhaps just a little central for me. I would suggest bringing the highlights down a little bit - also on the post, I think it improves the presentation.