Thread: Little Trophy Hunters

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little Trophy Hunters

Attached Images Attached Images

The Black-backed Jackal is said to have been around for some three million years. This species is clever, cunning, brave, always in pursuit of food - the ultimate survivor. Male and female mate for life and they both take part in bringing up the young. When they grow up, subadults participate in rearing younger siblings and either guard them or hunt with a parent to provide food for everyone. As they bring the "goods" home they regurgitate a small amount for everyone present, also for Mom if she did not participate in the hunt. Apart from catching small mammals the species feeds on leftovers from larger carnivores like lion and cheetah or leopard.

My very first Story Sequence in this Forum showed you three jackals killing a springbok lamb. The following four frames portray a much softer and funnier side of this incredible little predator. Hope you enjoy those images, they were taken on a recent trip to the Kalahari, just North of Kij Kij waterhole. As soon as those trophy hunters spotted the springbok horn in the grass the game began... Lots of chasing and fooling around, and believe me it was not an easy job following them as they crossed the road constantly and ran about like random flashes of lightning!

Thank you kindly for taking the time to view, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 03-06-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - A very fun game for both the jackals and for you and Andre to observe.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very fine set of shots Gabriela, I have seen that look on the face of my dog when it has got something it should not have, on the third picture of the Jackal with the horn.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel, hello Keith!

Many many thanks for looking, as well as comments.

It takes a bit of time and effort to process a number of images for a Sequence. I really hoped you would enjoy seeing, rather than imagining, those interactions. Can we learn to love jackals? Some see them as pests while others - myself included - believe they have their place in the wild. I have witnessed so many aspects of their behaviour! Despite the perceived "cruelty" towards their victims they are just little predators surviving in the best way they can: working together (in similar fashion to wild dogs), raising young, hunting, risking injury or death to steal a tiny morsel from the mighty lion's kill to feed their own pups. They are amazing creatures, playful, extremely adaptable, intelligent, cunning and brave. I hope to share more jackal images with you and show you various aspects of their behaviour, hoping you will like them too.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful lighting and action sequence here Gabriela, love the "come and chase me" look in #3

Jackals always seem to go unappreciated to most observers, but if you take the time to sit and watch them they are very smart and cunning indeed, and you've garnered some of that here I believe.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Marc,

Busy looking for more, not sure I have anything as captivating as your hyena/wild dog encounter though Good to see you posting here and so grateful for your kind comments, a big Thank You

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

How many times have I seem my own dogs in this behaviour. Every image tells their wonderful story. A pleasure to see. Thank you!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Glennie, appreciated:)
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great story. The first pane is really special.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you David:)

And I really appreciate your contribution here in Story Sequences

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea