Thread: A New Photographic Strategy...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A New Photographic Strategy...

Attached Images Attached Images

White-tailed Eagle looking down

This image was created at the Akan Crane Center on the 2016 Japan in Winter IPT with the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, and the mega mega-pixel Canon EOS 5DS R. ISO 400: 1/1600 sec. at f/4 in Manual mode. AWB.

Center AF point/AI Servo Expand/Shutter button AF as originally framed was active at the moment of exposure. Click on the image to see a larger version.

I am pretty much sold for now on the Canon EOS 5DS R: shoot wide when you can't get close,, crop, and wind up with incredibly large, sharp image files. Working wider allows for more d-o-f and super-accurate AF. When you get close the image files are mind-boggling.

See Pane #2 for an even tighter crop of this image.

As for the image, don't be shy: all honest comments are welcome.

For six more examples with the six original image files and six more crazy tight crops see the 600 II/5DS R raptors in flight; is this the sickest blog post ever? blog post here.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 03-05-2016 at 05:08 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an unsharpened 100% crop of the optimized TIFF file. In 32 years of bird photography I have never seen anything like the fine feather detail that comes with the 5DS R...
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 03-05-2016 at 05:09 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous image. Spectacular flight shot.
    Love the fine details on 100% crop.
    Very informative blog post.
    Great show, Arthur sir.

Regards,
    Satish.

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arthur where will it end ?agree the image quality is superb without sharping , and a fine picture you took to show us this .

Keith.

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very impressive image of both the close up and the full size.
    Love the head turn and the full wing span pose as well as the fine details.

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice image indeed, the details are excellent. I like the pose and the colours. Artie you mentioned a couple of my recent images have been a little dark in the mid range and I think you were right, however I look at this one and wonder if it is a little pale - does it need a little "pop" - maybe I am up the creek and it is the time of year and the plumage is pale or it is a juvenile??

I am not too sure about the strategy - are we really saying that a 5DSR is going to deliver better images with a shorter lens that a 5D III or a 1DX with a longer (L) lens. Wouldn't the longer reach and large pixels beat (optical quality)the smaller though many more pixels - it's a genuine question I am not sure what the answer is but I am sure that an answer would have to be cached in terms of "at this distance or this magnification".

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    A very nice image indeed, the details are excellent. I like the pose and the colours. Artie you mentioned a couple of my recent images have been a little dark in the mid range and I think you were right, however I look at this one and wonder if it is a little pale - does it need a little "pop" - maybe I am up the creek and it is the time of year and the plumage is pale or it is a juvenile??

I am not too sure about the strategy - are we really saying that a 5DSR is going to deliver better images with a shorter lens that a 5D III or a 1DX with a longer (L) lens. Wouldn't the longer reach and large pixels beat (optical quality)the smaller though many more pixels - it's a genuine question I am not sure what the answer is but I am sure that an answer would have to be cached in terms of "at this distance or this magnification".
    Hi John,

First off I love the soft look and the soft light with the underparts lit by light reflected off the snow. But surely that is a matter of taste.

As for the image quality question, the answer is a resounding no. You need to subscribe to the blog... 5DS R images kill 1D IV, 1DX, and 5D III images. And for IQ alone at the lower ISOs they will kill most 1DX II images. But the 1D X III has tons going for it, at least on paper.

I own two 5DS R bodies and are using them exclusively right now. I have a 1DX II on order. a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image, especially the large crop version. On your blog it appears that you use the 5dsr / 600 f4 ii combo only tripod mounted for flight shots? How would that compare to handholding this rig?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard Weldhagen View Post
    Great image, especially the large crop version. On your blog it appears that you use the 5dsr / 600 f4 ii combo only tripod mounted for flight shots? How would that compare to handholding this rig?
    Though some of my younger, hand holding studs would disagree, I believe that the images made on a tripod would be just a bit sharper. For me there would be no comparison because I can barely hold the 600 II for a few seconds.... a

ps: thanks!

13. Thanks Gerhard Weldhagen thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur,

the eagles feathers look quite a bit like painted! I have some RAW files of such bird and the feathers really look like painted. Maybe I have a little 'painter' in the camera which I am not aware off.

The eagle in flight looks great looking down.

Have a great day

Ciao Anette