Thread: Redpoll

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Redpoll

Attached Images Attached Images

Redpoll at pool.The slight turn of the body has hidden the pale chest but can,t win em all ! I liked the effect and colours on the water No two shots are ever the same.
    These birds are almost non existant this year.
    D7100
    Nikor 30-300mm
    ISO

125th @f8
    Slight crop. S
    Couple of spec highlights removed
    Neat image/ PP Paint Shop Pro.
    Thanks for looking
    JohnR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely. The pool is much improved and cleaner looking. The alert pose is great as is the image design. There is a bit of a yellowish color cast on the bird. Love, the water. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artur.
    Bit of a problem with colour again as the birds are this colour- especially down the flanks at certain times of the year. I didn,t want to loose that.
    John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cracking image, great pose and like the ripples in background. The side on view shows off this bird well and a nice catchlight.

Graham.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Graham
    I,m over your way this afternoon.
    John

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice pose, good details, sharp. yellow color cast noted above. I'd dial back on the BG NR/blurring as it makes it look a bit plasticy.

this one is much better than the frames with the busy BG's. TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    This is a portion of the original with no PP at all. Thats what interested me about the image. maybe its the shutter speed and aperture on the moving water that gives the plastic effect. The final pic had just one weak round of NR as I do with every post. Thanks for looking.
    JohnR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Thanks
    This is a portion of the original with no PP at all. Thats what interested me about the image. maybe its the shutter speed and aperture on the moving water that gives the plastic effect. The final pic had just one weak round of NR as I do with every post. Thanks for looking.
    JohnR

John, can you post your RAW file? this crop clearly shows noise reduction applied to it already.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash
    There is no NR applied to this image at all. All my images which have had NR applied change the file name to the original number plus ""filtered" after it. This one is imageDSC_150.jpg. In would have thought that there is enough noise to see that it hasn,t been done.
    . I cannot send a RAW file as I have said many times I don't shoot in RAW.
    Cheers
    JoihnR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash
    There is no NR applied to this image at all. All my images which have had NR applied change the file name to the original number plus ""filtered" after it. This one is imageDSC_150.jpg. In would have thought that there is enough noise to see that it hasn,t been done.
    . I cannot send a RAW file as I have said many times I don't shoot in RAW.
    Cheers
    JoihnR
    Sorry but that's not true.

When you shoot in JPEG the camera already applies noise reduction to the file. The image does have some color blotches but it also clearly has heavy JPEG NR applied which you cannot undo.

You need to shoot in RAW mode if you really want to improve the quality of your images, get rid of the color cast etc. I don't see why you wouldn't want to.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aresh
    I am a naturalist-not a photographer. I don,t want PP to take over my pastime of taking pictures. Colour casts for example I am affraid ,are not always casts. Removing them although usually OK can often take away the very essence of a shot. I always have the camera set on Auto White Balance with warm tones retained. Out of the hundreds of shots I have posted on here there have been relatively few with cast issues raised. Sometimes the person has never seen the subject in real life and so must be hard to judge.
    As for heavy JPG noise reduction being done in camera. Sorry but that is not true. Only does it if you set the camera to do so. I have never done that.
    If I took my shots in RAW at 24 MP it would take my old PC too long to process them. Too long for me anyway.
    Cheers
    JohnR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aresh
    I am a naturalist-not a photographer. I don,t want PP to take over my pastime of taking pictures. Colour casts for example I am affraid ,are not always casts. Removing them although usually OK can often take away the very essence of a shot. I always have the camera set on Auto White Balance with warm tones retained. Out of the hundreds of shots I have posted on here there have been relatively few with cast issues raised. Sometimes the person has never seen the subject in real life and so must be hard to judge.
    As for heavy JPG noise reduction being done in camera. Sorry but that is not true. Only does it if you set the camera to do so. I have never done that.
    If I took my shots in RAW at 24 MP it would take my old PC too long to process them. Too long for me anyway.
    Cheers
    JohnR
    Hi John,

my name is not Aresh and I am sorry but again you are wrong on multiple fronts.

Camera's WB doesn't get the colors right most of the time, setting your camera to Auto WB doesn't mean that your images will be more "natural" as opposed to correcting the colors so that the bird looks like what it should in real life. I am sorry to say but most of your images do show strong color casts but you tend to blame them on being color blind. These are common species most folks have seen and know what they look like.

You are also wrong about NR too, even when you turn it OFF the camera still applies NR during the demosaicing of the RAW data. Since you have never shot in RAW maybe you don't know the difference. The image above clearly has NR applied, it baffles me that you deny it, again perhaps because you haven't seen a RAW image with no NR applied to it.

As for RAW processing, even if it takes some time to process RAW files, it's worth doing it and these days it's really cheap to upgrade to a newer PC. Why not, instead of taking too many photos concentrate on a few good ones and process them to perfection?

Regrettably, It seems to me that you are not willing to take the critique that's offered to you by our moderators and experienced members and that leaves me scratching my head why you post your images on a critique forum like this at first place given the many alternatives that are out there...

Regards,
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 03-05-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash
    Sorry I got your name wrong.
    Out of nearly 500 picturesthat I have posted, you say "most" of them have a colour cast.
    I don,t think that is true, and I bsuggest you go back through them and check.
    It might be cheap for you to upgrade.
    You say there are other forums out there. Thanks very much- I will take your advice.
    John R

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, I had looked at them and sadly they all have issues but I was always hesitant to comment because I anticipated your response. Here is a very old example where I tried to offer critique...
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 03-05-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Maryland's Eastern Shore, beside Fairlee Creek near the Chesapeake Bay
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another fine image John. As has been noted above, it is lovely.