Thread: ANGRY HAIR - LOOKS LIKE ME FIRST THING IN THE MORNING

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default ANGRY HAIR - LOOKS LIKE ME FIRST THING IN THE MORNING

Attached Images Attached Images

A little Snowy was posing on the rocks in front of a cave at La Jolla Cove and I couldn't help but smile at his exasperated debut. The background is basically the inside of the cave and filtered light and bright rocks left me with hot spots and a distracting backdrop. I increased the shadows and blacks to obliterate the distractions; I think it worked well but I would be interested in your comments. Although the light was harsh, I think the image turned out OK. I love his big yellow feet and the crack in the rocks not to mention his disheveled and grumpy demeanor. Canon 1D IV, 100-400mm Mark II @ 255mm, ISO 500, 1/1250 @ f/9, 2806 x 4293, processed in LR, January 2016, La Jolla California.
    Last edited by steve torna; 03-04-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Holy moley Steve; if that looks like you first thing in the morning...we must be twins! I love the white bird against the dark BG. You have done well to hide any distractions in the BG. His yellow galoshes are an absolute bonus. I might consider brightening his eye just a tad?

Thank you for sharing!

3. Thanks steve torna thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve and thanks for your membership support. You wrote a good self critique as I love the hairdo and the crack in the rocks. Are there many pelicans around?

For the original capture you needed to point the lens a bit more to your left for more room in front of the bird and less behind.

The big problem with the photo is that the WHITEs especially those about the head and face are grayed out. They need to be white. And yes, the eyes, and the lores need to be brightened up a bit... a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

5. Thanks steve torna thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Revised whiten and brighten

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Glennie and Artie, I don't have the technical knowledge to get him much whiter without losing detail in the whites but I did raise highlights, whites, and brighten the eye/lores in LR and I think its an improvement. steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Better but still too gray. What are you using to convert your RAW files? a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your help Artie, I use LR only.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, Thanks. You might enjoy the initial discussion of LR on my blog here. There is lots of relevant stuff in the Comments.

Especially relevant to the discussion here would be the follow-up post: Lightroom Bashing? Lightroom Highlight Percentage Values vs RGB Values: Lessons Learned and Summary

You can read the whole thing here.

a