Thread: Canon Mark IV or 7D II???

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canon Mark IV or 7D II???

I have own and used both bodies but I am still not 100% about the 7DII,

Can somebody suggest a better body over the other? I sold my 7DII after finding tha files a bit soft (operator error?)
    Now I realize that I need the extra reach and better focusing on the 7D vs the Mark IV which is not so good in dim forests.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by Juan Carlos Vindas; 03-03-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have a 7D2 and a 1DX and previously I had a 1D4. If I had to choose between 1D4/7D2 it would be the 1D4. The 7D2 files are a bit noisy and soft at ISO 1600 and above for my liking whereas the 1D4 was cleaner/sharper. I'd say the 1D4 and 7D2 AF are comparable assuming the photographer has the skill to operate each camera. 7D2 has more AF modes and settings but that doesn't necessarily translate to a higher percentage of sharp flight images. But for $1500 7D2 is hard to beat in value.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

3. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    I have a 7D2 and a 1DX and previously I had a 1D4. If I had to choose between 1D4/7D2 it would be the 1D4. The 7D2 files are a bit noisy and soft at ISO 1600 and above for my liking whereas the 1D4 was cleaner/sharper. I'd say the 1D4 and 7D2 AF are comparable assuming the photographer has the skill to operate each camera. 7D2 has more AF modes and settings but that doesn't necessarily translate to a higher percentage of sharp flight images. But for $1500 7D2 is hard to beat in value.
    Many thanks Arash!!!

I currently own the 5D3 and Mark IV and love the clean files on the 5D3 but the debate as noted is between the Mark IV and 7DII.
    Some time ago I owned the 7DII but was a bit dissapointed on its IQ. now, I am really missing the 1.6 crop factor as the birds in the tropics, especially the prettiest and more colourful are super small and spooky, hence my need for the 1.6 as I hate to crop.
    In any ways, I thank you for your input.

Juan

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have both right now and also have a 5D Mark III.
    I use the 7D Mark II with the 100-400 L IS II lens as a lightweight option and for BIF and I am happy with it.
    The 1D Mark IV is and excellent compromise between the full frame and the 1.6 crop.
    I can go up with ISO to 1600 with it.
    I love it and use it with both the 100-400 and the 500 with 1.4x.
    I sold my first copy and missed it so much that I ended up buying a used one with only 7500 click and decided to keep it
    forever, the 1D Mark IV, that is.
    Last edited by Karl Egressy; 03-04-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I own a 7D II and rarely use the camera because of it's poor performance in low light and occasionally the images are really noisy and muddy looking (for lack of a better term). In beautiful golden light the 7DII performs very well. I also own a 1D IV and a 5D III and these are my main camera bodies. I love both of them but for wildlife, my favorite is the 1D IV because it is consistent under all conditions, ISO performance is excellent and it has never let me down. The batteries seem to last forever and the files really are very clean and beautiful. Finally, do consider that the 1D IV has produced some of the best and most famous wildlife images ever made. I use my 1D IV with the 100-400 Mark II and the 500mm IS Mark I. If you are worried about the 1.6 crop factor just try getting closer to your subjects via hides and telephoto lenses.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I own both. 1D4 is better
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    New Harbour, Newfoundland And Labrador, Canada
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Could you elaborate ? What is it you like in the 1D mark 4 over 7Dii?

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    I own both. 1D4 is better

Threads
    Thank You Posts

First of all I have been using the Canon 1D4 for 4 years so obviously I am more comfortable with it.

Positives: The main reason I like it is b/c it's light weight and coupled with the new 100-400L gives me more reach b/c of the 1.6 vs 1.3 crop factor.

Negatives: The battery lasts MUCH longer than the battery in the 7D2 which has a very short life. A huge negative for me is the exposure scale inside the viewfinder which is very small and on the right side instead of underneath. It's very hard to see and to decipher your exposure. I find the menu more complicated. In low light and if you underexpose by accident, there is quite a bit more noise. If using high ISO's you can get decent images but you really need to expose to the right.

The biggest negatives for me, and I almost considered returning or selling the camera, are the exposure scale and the low battery life. Both are unacceptable. But I really like the light weight and extra reach.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

10. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marina,

have you turned the GPS off in your 7D2? It drains the battery a lot (even when the power switch is off)
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes. It has been turned off since day one.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

13. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    New Harbour, Newfoundland And Labrador, Canada
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you I tend to agree with your comments, I wasn't as familiar with the 1D4 when I got my 7D11, I wasn't as familiar with 1D , but I find my IQ with the 7D ii is as good, but I know the 7D much better, having said occasionally its seems I don't get the IQ I feel i should be getting ! But otherwise I have been pleased but got me wondering if I should give the 1D4 another chance.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    First of all I have been using the Canon 1D4 for 4 years so obviously I am more comfortable with it.

Positives: The main reason I like it is b/c it's light weight and coupled with the new 100-400L gives me more reach b/c of the 1.6 vs 1.3 crop factor.

Negatives: The battery lasts MUCH longer than the battery in the 7D2 which has a very short life. A huge negative for me is the exposure scale inside the viewfinder which is very small and on the right side instead of underneath. It's very hard to see and to decipher your exposure. I find the menu more complicated. In low light and if you underexpose by accident, there is quite a bit more noise. If using high ISO's you can get decent images but you really need to expose to the right.

The biggest negatives for me, and I almost considered returning or selling the camera, are the exposure scale and the low battery life. Both are unacceptable. But I really like the light weight and extra reach.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks to all who shared their experience with either camera. I was in the fence about getting (for the second time) a 7DII, glad I did not spent the money, instead I will keep the ´´old´´ good Mark IV.

Juan