Thread: Greetings from Central Florida!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greetings from Central Florida!

Hello all! Greetings from Central Florida! My name is Andrew Harrell, and I'm just now getting serious about photography. Right now my interests are avian and wildlife photography, but I plan to try a bit of everything. I realize how fortunate I am to live so close to some great birding and wildlife areas. Hopefully this gives me lots of opportunity to take pics!

Got a lot of reading to do on this forum, take in what I read, apply, and then hopefully will be better able to ask some semi-intelligent questions. I'll be posting some of my very first pics in the "Eager to Learn" forums as I'd like to learn to take better pictures with the camera, and then post-produce better pictures.

Here's a sample of what I took on my first day with the camera -- I'm an absolute newb when it comes to fully understanding what I am doing both in terms of taking the pic, and then working in LightRoom to do some editing (don't have PhotoShop yet; I'm told I will realize soon enough I will want to get). The photo was cropped heavy as the rest of the pic was not very interesting and had the same background, a bit of touch-up on a few background distractions (wasn't 100% sure what I was doing) ... will post this to "Eager to Learn" for C&C ......

Andrew (everyone calls me "AP")

Name:  Snowy Egret-49cropped2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  158.0 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

AP:

A big welcome to BPN! It is a great place to learn and grow as a photographer.

A handsome snowy you have there. For your first day, a fine effort.

Lightroom is a wonderful program, and can take you far. Yes, photoshop will be needed when you start more elaborate processing, but you can learn a lot with just Lightroom. It actually encourages you to get it right in the camera, instead of relying on fixing things in post.

So, start posting on Eager to Learn, lots of good help there.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi AP, Welcome to BPN and a nice Snowy to introduce yourself with. Eager to Learn is a great forum to get started with and a great way to improve your skills. I live a few hours south of you so if you have any questions or need help send me a PM.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Andrew you did a great job with this shot, because the lighting is just right and angle dead on.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sure looks like you had a good first day with your camera. Welcome to BPN. You'll learn a lot in the ETL forum and all of them frankly. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi AP...welcome to BPN! You've found the right place to guide you through your first steps (and beyond!) in bird and wildlife photography. Remember, all questions are good questions!

BTW, what does "AP" stand for?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel: "AP" is just a nickname, but it's really short for Andrew Paul ....

AP

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey thanks AP. I had a hunch that the A was for Andrew, I just wondered where the "P" came from.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome, Andrew! I've been enjoying your participation in ETL and look forward to more!