Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
    Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/500
    Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation 0
    ISO Speed 200
    Auto ISO Speed ON
    Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
    the light was constantly changing, this is where I find the Auto ISO invaluable.

Image captured from my garden hide, I took 200 images in close succession at varying shutter speeds (approx 1/320 - 1/3200 and to be honest there was very little discernible difference in qauality) and all at f8, this is was the first one! On reflection I could have made it perfectly possible to reduce the cropping factor significantly. The woodie wasn't in the least perturbed by the shutter on my camera, I thought it would have been gone in a flash but no it just stayed there so maybe room for improvement. Your critique is eagerly anticipated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a great looking woodpecker with very nice colours. Good BG too. Processing looks well done - sharpness perfect. I have to admit that the perch is the weak link of the image IMO - the bark itself looks great but those growths are distracting to me. I also would have pointed my lens to the right for added room there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon:

My concerns match Daniels. The dark, high contrast blobs on the trunk are just too dominant to allow us to really appreciate the bird. The background and main trunk are very good. You need to do a wartectomy on that tree.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan, Randy thanks for the comments. I knew you wouldn't like the stump with those large warty growths, they are large and significant and I appreciate many would regard them as intrusive, I don't really know why but I just like them. Regarding composition I did consider placement further over to the left but I felt the bird became less significant and the stump even more dominant. I also flipped the image but in the end I decided on this version. I will be out looking for another stump or bough today in between rain showers - thanks again.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon when I first looked there was something I could not put my finger on, think Dan and Randy have answered my question re the Growths. Bird and BG look very good but there again one of those growths chops off the tail.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith mitchell View Post
    Jon when I first looked there was something I could not put my finger on, think Dan and Randy have answered my question re the Growths. Bird and BG look very good but there again one of those growths chops off the tail.

Keith.
    Yes I agree Keith, that is why I ended up taking so many images - the bird of course just kept moving as it rummaged in the stump, I was just hoping at one point the tail would become more visible, but that didn't happen because it was using it to balance.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird perfect - perch, not so much so. Think that just about sums it up for me!

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon trying to photograph birds can be fun? The times I have wished I had long arms and a pair of cutters to remove some pesky piece of grass or twig.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, lovely IQ, and looks the weather was kind to you when shooting this sequence. Well exposed and sharp, and maybe just a tad more space on the right to give the tree a touch of breathing space.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

My thanks to everyone for your interest and comments.