Thread: Barn owl fly past

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barn owl fly past

My three month spell watching the Barn owls is now coming to a end ,I have spent nearly every spare hour I have had in between work and weekends to try for the shot I am looking for ,they are a joy to watch but it takes a while to gather the info of the birds flight paths /routine etc as it does change with condition's and how successful they are at first light ,I initially set up with my little pop up hide looking for head on shots but struggled with the 400mm 5.6 as I was forever missing focus by hitting stray grass and when you only get one chance every couple of hours it gets frustrating, so a change of plan, I did have permission to go on the land so I looked for a manmade hide already in the field not far from were the bird was quartering what I found was a large (smelly) large bail of hay that had a small dip in front of it,after that a case of sit and wait ,this shot was around 1 hour after sunrise with light cloud allowing for a diffused sort of light ,its not perfect I know but this shot was one of my favorites of hundreds on the day ,mainly because I got a long hard look rather than the quick look and turn,if you have ever watched and photographed Barn owls you can appreciate the look ...Canon 1d mkiv 400mm 5.6 at 5.6 iso 800 1/1000 sec +1/3ev handheld Name:  Barn-owl.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  399.2 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your hard work paid off. I love the backlight, the stare, and the great look at the far underwing. The near wing position: not so good... It looks as if there is a large dust bunny about an inch (on the screen) below the bird's feet.

All in all, well done. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dennis, good eye contact, and love the light through the far wing. Comp wise, Moving him more to the right in the frame would have worked better, as now, he's about to fly out the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another well executed BO Den. I have to agree with Stu though- more canvas left would do it.
    Still a great image though
    John

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis I know how frustrating and rewarding barn owl photography is, you have my sympathy and moreover my admiration for sticking to it. I like your shot very much, exposure and eye direction/contact are good. I have no doubt you will be there again may/June when they feed their chicks. Good luck I know your time and effort will be continually rewarded.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jonathon , two reasons I wont be there May/June is the Little owl takes up all my time plus its difficult setting up for shots that are not in the owls flight path to the nest which any cause of disturbance is not recommended as the bird is (as I know you are aware) legal protected
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Dennis I know how frustrating and rewarding barn owl photography is, you have my sympathy and moreover my admiration for sticking to it. I like your shot very much, exposure and eye direction/contact are good. I have no doubt you will be there again may/June when they feed their chicks. Good luck I know your time and effort will be continually rewarded.

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice capture Dennis,agree on more canvas on the left.good eye contact.TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Magnificent flight shot.

Regards,
    Satish.