Thread: Pied Flycatcher

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pied Flycatcher

Attached Images Attached Images

Pied Flycatcher
    Taken in the 70' s whenn we first moved to the forest. This is a copy off an ecktachrome 100 ASA transparency using a home made copier using a 50mm macro and the D7100.
    The shot was taken using a pneumatic remote release. (Along rubber tube with a bulb on the end.) I am firing the shutter from inside the room/left hand window. Flash was used as fill in Mecablitz 4002
    Camera on tripod Covered with army camo.
    Tamron 70-210
    Pentax spotmatic.
    60th second.F16
    Dirt marks etc cloned out- may have missed some.
    In those days we had two pairs nesting in the garden - and 30 pairs nearby.
    Not any more .
    Cheers
    JohnR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John:

Neat history lesson about how it was done! A lot easier today.

I might consider cropping out the barbed wire and the post on right, and lowering the luminosity of the remaining post.

There also seems to be an overall green cast which could be removed.

Thanks for sharing, esp. the setup details.

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 02-29-2016 at 06:54 PM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Story and technique are interesting but the image quality of the reproduction is horrific: not sharp anywhere with a huge color cast and over-exposed whites on the bird's breast. Thank God for digital... a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks both
    Yes Arthur- you are perfectly correct in what you say. It was really to show the difference and suggest folks think about how we would do the same subject with todays advances in digital teqniques and equipment.. I am sure there would be a big difference. The copy is - again quite faithful to the slide and I puposely did no PP to it - again to show the changes. I am sure with a lot of work it could be improved a great deal . I doubt if it is really worth it. It is useful however in lectures.due to its shortcomings. I suppose nearly 40 years has affected the slide somewhat- (And me too !) What is interesting is the fact that when I first used it, people thought it was wonderful !!
    Thanks for looking
    John

Threads
    Thank You Posts

:) As I said, you gotta love digital. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John:
    40 years from now, people will look back at our current images and say, well, they did the best they could with their primitive equipment! Such is the march of time.

Thanks again for the history lesson.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton