Thread: San Ignacio Moon Rise...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default San Ignacio Moon Rise...

Attached Images Attached Images

This is about the toughest shot I have ever taken. I visualized what I wanted to do the minute I
    got to the whale camp and saw the nest. The Sunrise shot I posted was easy, just had to get a nice flight pose.
    This one required going down to iso6400 because by the time the full moon rose to the nest it was pretty bright,
    thus the high iso, wide open aperture and a cooperative Osprey to sit still in windy conditions so I got
    away with the slow SS.
    Processing was tough and if any suggestions, I would love to hear it...

f2.8, 200mm (70-200 f2.8), 1/160, iso6400, Nikon D600, Handheld.

610_9128bp.jpg
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan:

A striking image, well conceived.

The tough conditions resulted in a lot of posterization in the background, at least in the jpeg as posted.

I might move the nest a bit to the right in the frame, instead of dead center.

If you want to share a large jpeg of this or even a raw, it might be fun to tinker with.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan this sounds very difficult and way above my head, but I am really enjoying looking at your finished results.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great show.Excellent image.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments, Randy, Keith and Satish.
    Randy, this is full frame, I really can't move the nest because I need every pixel because of the high iso.
    I could have and should have composed in camera better.
    I am a bit disappointed in the responses, this is one situation where I really wanted some feedback as to
    how others may have taken this shot...
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 02-29-2016 at 11:19 PM. Reason: removed this as it was not related to the image: The fee increase to join here seems to really have hurt this site...
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can understand that this was difficult...the moon moves fast when trying to compose an image such as this. You did what you could in-camera. As far as processing I would suggest checking the masking carefully...there is a band of noise along the left of the post. I'd probably be a bit more aggressive on the NR to the nest and subject too. Kudos for spotting the opportunity!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool image Dan. Looks like an exposure nightmare but you handled it very well. Shooting into the moon, your light source, looks like it would be tough to expose properly, if there is a properly. Wondering what it would have looked like if the birds head were centered in the moon?
    The Posterization looks kinda cool but it does add a digital quality to it. A little CW rotation would look better IMO and I can see some of the high ISO noise below the nest and around the branches left behind from NR. Lots of work to cut around all those branches for NR.
    Otherwise I think it's a very well coceved and executed image that I personally like. Well done
    Last edited by David Salem; 02-29-2016 at 11:46 PM.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David hit precisely on my thoughts: you needed to be six inches higher and two inches to your right to better position the bird in the center of the moon. Otherwise you did quite well from where I sit. What Dan meant was the you should have composed in the field with nest placed well more to the right. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.