Thread: CPS Cleaning Question

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default CPS Cleaning Question

I'm about ready to send my IV into CPS for a cleaning. Since this
    is my first time, I'm a little scared :)

I had some questions and emailed CPS, but never got a response.

Do I use those Rush labels...or are they just for repairs?

As far as the form itself, I assume I just check Canon Maintenance Service?

Anything else I might need to know about to make this process easier?

Thanks
    Doug

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug, as a Platinum member in the CPS I have my kit cleaned at least every four months or so depending on the usage & locations. Obviously there is a limit to what they can do i.e. they will not strip down a lens, but a routine clean is good and you will see a difference. The will oil and check for any worn parts and if you have had them to calibrate the body with the lenses you could get them to re calibrate too, but again it's all budget driven.

I use 'priority' because of the CPS status or 'tier' level, not sure what Rush means, perhaps the same?

Remove the battery, eye cap, cards, strap (do not include them) and you may want to backup any camera settings on a card just in case.

Are they collecting or are you dropping off? If you are sending it away, make sure you have insurance, it's packed well & you can track the shipment, fortunately Canon for me is only a 30 min drive.

Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm a Gold member.
    I'm sending it off. I'm in Ohio, so it looks like New Jersey.

Doug

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don't know about gold, but at platinum Canon pays for shipping both ways.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Last time I send my camera in for repair, I asked that they also do a thorough cleaning. (I am a gold member.) They responded that they ALWAYS do a cleaning when a member sends in a body for repair. BULL!!! When I received my 1D4 back it still had sand in it. I was pretty disappointed but didn't even bother to call them b/c what's the point. I would be VERY explicit with what you want. Make sure you take a picture of your entire menu b/c your settings will all be set back to default.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marina Scarr View Post
    Last time I send my camera in for repair, I asked that they also do a thorough cleaning. (I am a gold member.) They responded that they ALWAYS do a cleaning when a member sends in a body for repair. BULL!!! When I received my 1D4 back it still had sand in it. I was pretty disappointed but didn't even bother to call them b/c what's the point. I would be VERY explicit with what you want. Make sure you take a picture of your entire menu b/c your settings will all be set back to default.
    Sand!! That's worrisome.

I've only used them for cleaning and never needed a repair, so mine always came back clean.

I wonder where the sand came from. I see you're in FL, so maybe there was some sand somewhere around the body and when they took that off, some got inside. Still, they should have cleaned it.