Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barn Owl.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm 2.8
    1/125@F6.3
    ISO 2000.

Low light job but I like the feel of it.

Thanks for taking a look.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, I really like the low light and the "feel" of the image. It's very painterly. I know the purists among us will not overly like his perch, but I would think this would be a typical barn owl perch. I love his pose. It seems like you may have been struggling with noise?

Thank you for sharing!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with the "painterly" comment above. Neat pose, and I like the dark BG (although I would attempt to remove the faintly visible elements within it, especially above the owl's head and in ULC). I would have preferred an old weathered fence, but you had what you had.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keith:

I like the pose, composition, nice display of the facial disc. Agree about the perch, but it is a BARN owl, so they don't always perch on photographer friendly spots.

You were in pretty close to this one based on your focal length. Were you in a blind/hyde?

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glennie and Dan, was never going to get just what I wanted with the poor light(and my lack of knowledge to deal with it) and the featureless door but as you say you take what you can get, hope they are there this year .Randy you are right slowly moved my hide into place over a couple of weeks then was able to get shots of up to 4 Owls even if the IQ is below where I would have liked it, with a better understanding of the site and ac little more knowledge of my camera we will see this year hopefully.

Thanks Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keith, slowly but surely wins the race. You are so dedicated to the craft. Are you able to put some nice old weathered fence posts there somewhere? I have trained my butcher birds to sit on just about anything I ask them to, to the point of boredom. I know you are going to nail these guys!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Greeting Keith from BC, lovely image, would echo the above comments, looking forward to more later in the year.

TFS
    Steve

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a treasure, such a beautiful owl. I have yet to photograph a Barn Owl, definitely on my bucket list. Thank you for sharing, Keith.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your kind words Glennie will keep at it, thanks also to Steve and Joe much appreciated.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image. The near dark background isolates the owl well. I like the composition and the half turn face. Well done. Loi

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice capture Keith,like the pose,not keen on the perch,but it is what it is.TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Loi and Chris much appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image.

Regards,
    Satish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Satish much appreciated.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Keith,
    Assuming that the site is at an abandoned dwelling, consider putting a nice facing on the plain perch when the birds are not in residence; there are lots of possibilities all including the words character and weathered...

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur this is a fairly new building that we fitted up with a nest box that as worked very well ,but not the best place for photography. Been off my legs for a while but planning to go back and see what we can do to make thing better.
    Question I would like to ask is the IQ really bad? I ask this because conditions at the time where very hard for me to handle.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Keith, Would that be a new unoccupied building???

Though the bird looks a bit on the too smooth side IQ looks acceptable to me; I think that you did pretty well in what I assume were extreme low light conditions.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur for the IQ bit I have lots of shots of these birds even four together but could not make up my mind if they are good enough to post on the forum.
    The buildings where almost rebuilt out buildings on a property that a friend of mine renovated. Was really pleased they looked after the Owls by putting up the box, nesting sites for Barn owls are getting very scarce in my part of Lincolnshire so spending a bit of my retirement time making and installing boxes which is being very successful .Thanks for your interest .

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Keith you are welcome but I am still confused as to the buildings; will the nest boxes be in place and open to the air once the building are finished and occupied? Is an outbuilding and outdoor bathroom?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Arthur I will try to explain the situation better. It is a bit of a trend now to buy up derelict farm buildings and what we call outhouses, These outhouses can be detached from the main old farm house or sometimes fixed to the side of the house and were used as store houses or for farm animals or stables, they are built from bricks and have clay tiled roofs. The ones we have put the Owl boxes in were very bad and had to be almost rebuilt but planning laws insist that they are put back close to their original state, these are situated about a 100 yards from the main house which was also in a very bad state of repair but now even though the outside looks very much like the original the inside is very modern and swish. The box is in the renovated outbuilding and the first point of exit is onto these new doors ,on the up side Ivy is starting to grow over the door and the owner is happy to leave this which will help to give a more natural look.
    Hope all is well with you.
    Regards Keith

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the explanation. As these building are apparently unused my original suggestion might work: erect a simple natural facade over the rather ugly perch at some point when the birds are not nesting or roosting there. It could be as simple as a weathered log with a slot cut in the bottom and affixed to the siding or whatever it is :) In other words, why not go natural all the way?

Another option would simply be some nice natural looking weathered siding from another site nailed in place and just a bit higher than the current perch.

a