Thread: Sandhill Cranes on a canvas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sandhill Cranes on a canvas

I found this when I was going through my catalogue from Salton Sea NWR. This is more minimalist than I thought but I personally like the wing positions of these two sandhill cranes not to mention the beautiful desert sunset. This is a 15.2MP crop from a 24MP camera to get that panoramic shot of the two birds. I am tempted to try some artsy filters on this one. I've never done that before so I would love to hear some suggestions.

This is shot at 600mm handheld, 1/640, f/8.0, ISO1800.

A pair of sandhill cranes making their ways back to the roosting place at the Salton Sea NWR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You needed One more bird.....
    Like the color a lot.
    Dan Kearl

3. Thanks Adhika Lie thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do like the birds small in the frame, lonely against the big sky. I might try brightening the birds just a tad. Also wonder if they would look better moved to the right and up a bit, more like a ROT position in the frame.

5. Thanks Adhika Lie thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I actually find this image quite moody and pleasing. Yes it would be even better with a third bird. But it fits the theme well, and I like it.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

7. Thanks Adhika Lie thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan, Bill, & Marina - thanks! Two birds... well, it was Valentine's day weekend and the pink sky sorta fit the whole theme. LOL.
    Anyway, truth to be told, I either have two birds in a frame or a flock of randomly positioned birds. I thought this one is the best in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    I do like the birds small in the frame, lonely against the big sky. I might try brightening the birds just a tad. Also wonder if they would look better moved to the right and up a bit, more like a ROT position in the frame.
    Bill, I'll definitely give the exposure bump on the birds a try. I tried cropping this differently to get the birds positioned on different places in the frame but for some reasons this works the best for me. I think you have used the most appropriate word for the mood I am looking for in this picture, lonely.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice! This one works centered -- if you move them to a rule of thirds position, or even more than a hair off center, there is no weight to balance them. A hint of OOF trees or a cloud would work, but not empty sky.