Thread: Could the new 400 DO II can fully replace a 100-400 II and a 300/2.8 I ? Travel / BiF !!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Could the new 400 DO II can fully replace a 100-400 II and a 300/2.8 I ? Travel / BiF !!

I am loud thinking here and ask you for a little help:

would it be an effective replacement for my lenses, the 400 DO II
    Now i have these lenses:

100-400 II
    300mm/2.8L IS 1. Version

600/4L IS II (out of Discussion)
    i also have both new TC`s the 1.4x III and the 2x T III.
    Bodies: 7D2 , 5DsR and my mainbody is the 1DX..
    longterm thinking i will replace it with an 1DX II and i think the upcoming 5DMark IV, but it will take a little time

Both lenses are very good, fast and i like to shot with them.
    The 100-400 II is my travel and walk around lens good for bif , even with the 1.4 TC on very sharp
    but i am most of the time at 400mm

the 300/2.8 was my first dream telelens for years, so i bought me this dream a few years ago.
    but i dont use it very often. 300mm is most of the time too short, converter with 1.4 on is very good.. but then i take more the 100-400 II with me, because it is lighter !
    i do not need the f:2.8 often, ok its nice to have

is it a great lens, everytime when i use i, it gives me a smile on my face, it is sharp with both converters, even at 600/5.6.
    ok with the 7D2 und the 5D it becomes slower at 600mm but still faster than a tamron 150-600.

+but most of the time i am using the 600/4 (also freehand) and the 100-400 II (50% 600mm -including 840mm or 1200mm- 40% the 100-400II mostly at 400mm or near, 10% Rest)
    I really like to shoot Birds in Flight, moving subjects and i am travelling a lot (in europe), ok i also like to shoot mammals or shorebirds on the ground with very often 840mm, so also the quality of the 400DO IS II with the 2xTC III wide open at f:8 is important for me!

long story sorry for that...

Is the new 400 DO II a really good replacement for these two lenses for me in my situation , this is my question !??

Thank you !
    Last edited by Eric Dienesch; 02-12-2016 at 05:44 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

you must have missed my review Eric

read it here, it answers all of your questions

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blo...-light-lenses/
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

3. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas, Eric Dienesch thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Arash.. thank you for give me the link, your statement is the best and most realistic test in the whole web, did you know that !

But not missed, i have found and read it just one hour after writing my things and because of this, i have ordered a 400DO II just today, that is available for prompt delivery, thank you again

Here in germany it costs 6100,- euro (including tax+shipping), now i have to sell my very good 300/2.8L IS Version 1

I hope the lens will come tuesday, latest wednesday, so i have a little time to test it (also with teleconvertes) at home before my trip to your beautifull country.. anyway it will not replace my number one lens the 600/4 II, but it will perhaps replace the 100-400 II at this trip to florida.
    if i am unlucky with the image quality, i could send it back (14 days moneyback garanted is included) or send it to local CPS for adjustment, but therefore perhaps not enough time .

i hope it will be a great lens , just like my 600/4 or nearly.
    Greetings Eric
    Last edited by Eric Dienesch; 02-12-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Eric,

A quick comment about your lenses for your trip.

I went to Florida for the first time last year and couldn't believe the settings I used compared to the UK. As good as the 400 is and you want to use your new toy it might be worth taking the 100-400 to give you more variety.

Losing the f4 won't be a major issue with the probable light and the 1dx

Mike

6. Thanks Eric Dienesch thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, thank you and
    yes your comment is right and i will be thinking about it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Eric,

A quick comment about your lenses for your trip.

I went to Florida for the first time last year and couldn't believe the settings I used compared to the UK. As good as the 400 is and you want to use your new toy it might be worth taking the 100-400 to give you more variety.

Losing the f4 won't be a major issue with the probable light and the 1dx

Mike
    Light is (usually) not an issue in Florida but a 100-400 is a short lens at the end of the day. Even in Florida there are many situations where a 400mm lens is too short. I wouldn't recommend a short zoom lens as a primary lens for bird photography. Once you have a 400 DO II I bet the zoom will rarely come out to see the light
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 02-12-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Dienesch View Post
    Hello Arash.. thank you for give me the link, your statement is the best and most realistic test in the whole web, did you know that !

But not missed, i have found and read it just one hour after writing my things and because of this, i have ordered a 400DO II just today, that is available for prompt delivery, thank you again

Here in germany it costs 6100,- euro (including tax+shipping), now i have to sell my very good 300/2.8L IS Version 1

I hope the lens will come tuesday, latest wednesday, so i have a little time to test it (also with teleconvertes) at home before my trip to your beautifull country.. anyway it will not replace my number one lens the 600/4 II, but it will perhaps replace the 100-400 II at this trip to florida.
    if i am unlucky with the image quality, i could send it back (14 days moneyback garanted is included) or send it to local CPS for adjustment, but therefore perhaps not enough time .

i hope it will be a great lens , just like my 600/4 or nearly.
    Greetings Eric
    Hi Eric,

I have now consolidated my bird photography to only 2 lenses. the 600 II and the 400 DO II. You won't really need anything else!

congrats and enjoy the new lens and have a good trip

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hallo it is now Here.

First impressions are very good, very fast light and with the 1.4tc still Perfect. Good Bokeh, i am positive surprised.

i Hope to learn it better The next days...today i want to try some Short eared Owls in flight with the Lens, with 1DX and the 7D2, but i Hope the Owls are still there. That is not for sure.
    I will inform you later, guys

ps: Auto correction on the iPad is horrible, by the way
    Last edited by Eric Dienesch; 02-17-2016 at 03:41 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi from a new convert to 400 DO II.
    Searched a lot for hand holdable birding lens... after reading Arash zeroed in on 400 DO II with 1dxII with 2X III converter. Great combination.. Just loving every moment of it...converter never leaves the camera.

Regards

Anil