Thread: Jumping around Etosha

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Jumping around Etosha

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks for a quick change i want to contribute an image to this month theme , but will turn back quickly to my seals , might be tomorrow and again to this month theme .

So here you go some Impala jumping in front of some elephants having a drink at Klein namoutoni WH .

I wished i have not been that tight with my capture and with hindsight i should have zoomed out , but this was simply happening to fast for me , as i was concentrating on the herd of elephants . I did not expect the Impala jumping all over the place , so you see the result not being ideal .

Nevertheless i thought worth to share with you .

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
    Ef 70-200 IS L at 200 mm
    HH

F 8 ; Iso 400 ; 1/800 sec ; man exp . faster SS would have been preferable but it is as is .....

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC , cropped for comp ... no more space on RHS .. sadly !

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous thread .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Nice timing here , though it is tight on the RHS but still you have managed to capture the moment pretty nicely and the sharpness looks quite good inspite of that ss, also you have handled the light pretty well , Nicely goes with this months theme with the Giraffe also peeping behind the ELE's .

I find the elephants quite distracting though behind the flying impala but at the same time liked the two elephants with their tails in the lhs .

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, a nice departure from the Seals and I think you did very well under the circumstances give the kit and reaction time. The SS is not ideal, but they are not blurs, great to mange two in frame. The elephants are a different backdrop, not perhaps ideal, but different, which I quite like as there is enough separation between the two. My only thought would be to lose the giraffe and the light tree trunk in the BKG.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - I think it is a fun image and gives a sense of the often chaotic scenes at the Etosha waterholes. Agree with your self-critique that a little wider and a bit more ss would have been preferable but I'm glad you shared it.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb, Steve and Rachel ... much appreciate your comments .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, great action here. One Etosha species which I've yet to get satisfactory photos of - the black-nosed impala.
    I like that you got both in and doesn't feel tight to me as the space you need is on the left.
    I do wish you would have taken this at f5.6 for a tad more separation, but it's not a deal-breaker...
    When are you going back there? We have booked for 2 weeks end October...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the contrast between the high action impala and very still ellies ! I agree with Morkel that the crop is not too big an issue as you still have space where you most need it

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Morkel ... what happened to you ... on your head ???
    Thanks Basil much appreciate your comment .

Morkel ... nothing planned regarding Etosha in the near future .... had to make decisions ... and they take me to other places , very shortly i am leaving to India .

9. Thanks Morkel Erasmus thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Thanks Morkel ... what happened to you ... on your head ???
    Thanks Basil much appreciate your comment .

Morkel ... nothing planned regarding Etosha in the near future .... had to make decisions ... and they take me to other places , very shortly i am leaving to India .
    Andreas! the photo you knew here on BPN was taken in 2009 and I have been shaving my head since 2013, so this is a "new" look to you but in fact I have been sporting this look for a while .

Enjoy India!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE