Thread: Stannage edge in Winter.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stannage edge in Winter.

Attached Images Attached Images

Stannage edge sits in the NE corner of the Derbyshire Peak District. By UK standards it was quite chilly, minus 6 degrees centigrade.

Panasonic Lumix LX100.

1/250 @ f 13. ISO 640

2. Thanks Jess M. McKenzie thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David

Its a pity about that road and what looks like a railway track cutting across the view... I think someone sitting on that rock would help this image, not something I would normally suggest however.. like the ice puddle..

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The "hand of man" shows itself several times here, so the rail does not bother me. I'd like to see the Shadows brought up just a little and the sky pulled down a little. Is that a triangular pond or a puddle? If a puddle, I'd crop it out, because it's demanding too much attention. I'm torn about the haze on the distant hills, but think the decision to leave it is good, giving more feeling of depth and distance.

Great colors, but I wonder how it looks full size. To allow the most headroom for printing, I would have lowered the ISO and shot at a lower SS. This is fine for internet.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I quite like the image, is that the cement factory in the distance? The frozen puddle is ok for me. I am not sure how the Panasonic settings compare with a DSLR but I suspect f13 is equivalent to f16-22 do I would imagine you could have used a wider aperture and still retained enough DOF - maybe I am wrong but if right it means you could have dropped the ISO. I am guessing you didn't use a tripod.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don, David and Jonathan. Many thanks for your comments. A couple of explanations here. First ISO - The ISO was set at 640 the last time I used the camera in a low light situation and I committed the cardinal sin of not checking the setting before I took the image - bad photographer! There is a road but no railway tracks. The triangular ice puddle was included as part of the composition as I wanted to emphasise the coldness of the day. The haze on the distant hills is actually snow. Yes Jonathan. it is the Hope Valley Cement Works.

David

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, I like the scene, but feel it needs to be photographed under more dramatic lighting such as sunrise, sunset, or storm light.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI David, Andrew echoed my thought exactly
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy