Thread: "FOCUSED"

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default "FOCUSED"

Attached Images Attached Images

One of my favorite moments of my trip to La Jolla was when this little snowy landed just ten feet or so from me. He must have seen prey in the tide from his previous superior perch. I really love his focused and determined demeanor. Canon 1D IV, 100-200mm IS Mark II, ISO 400, 1/1250 second @ f/5.6, January 21, 2016. Processed in LR, highlights down, blacks down and post crop vignetting to darken and tone down the background. I kind of think the background of irregular, cratered rocks is a distraction from an otherwise nice image.
    Last edited by steve torna; 02-05-2016 at 11:41 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful intent pose and detail in the whites!! The blacks/darks are heavy and blocked up. I like the mood you're after but I wonder -- did you try bringing Shadows just a bit to the right, or not go so far with Blacks and actually darken Shadows? There is a lot of leeway in those tones.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Revised Snowy

Thanks Diane, I tried your suggestions (shadows up and blacks down slightly) and the revisions worked very well. I think you just helped me salvage the image; but the background is just kind of boring and ugly.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good work! I think the sort of mysterious and vaguely foreboding BG is unique and works well with the bird. Now I notice one detail I'd fix if it were me -- the darker triangular shape at the top edge. I'd have a try at cloning it out, to keep my eye more on the bird.

I like this image a lot!

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image,good IQ,like the pose,repost is the one.TFS.

6. Thanks steve torna thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Intense pose with lots of feather details. The whites on the bird are looking a little greyish to my eyes.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Revise 2

Thank you Diane, Chris and Marina for your constructive thoughts. I may have over done it, but just for fun, I changed the background by cloning out the craters and I increased the whites and lowered overall saturation and blue saturation to get rid of the gray in the egret. Not a keeper but a great learning experience. How would you reduce or eliminate the gray hue in a white subject? Thanks steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, Marina is right: the WHITEs are GRAY. They should show at least with RGB values in the 230s in Photoshop. And you are correct, the BKGR is UGLY. The image is sharp. And the bird is staring intently. For me the biggest problem is the head angle; the bird has its head turned away from us.

Now get back out there and find one in a better situation with a distant background. Do you live in SD? a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

10. Thanks steve torna thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: Ah, I see that you are from Montana. Thanks a stack for your membership support. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone; I definitely learn from my bad and the ugly images not from the perfect ones.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

We all do, but this one is not bad and ugly!! It is really very nice -- it's just different from the classic, which is good. I love the work on the BG -- there is a small lighter spot in the upper right that could be darkened.

The whites went grayish by the combination of (mostly) reducing the Exposure and Highlights sliders. I assumed it was intentional, to match the dark mood. But it's easy to go back to the raw file and play with those slider positions a little. In LR they will still be where you left them.

Just back off the Highlight reduction a little and increase Whites -- the histogram is your guide. You'll have a of of leeway in how you interpret the tones before you start to loose the lovely detail in the lights. Most viewers do expect to see a fuller range of lighter tones.
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 02-06-2016 at 12:36 PM.

14. Thanks steve torna thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve torna View Post
    Thanks everyone; I definitely learn from my bad and the ugly images not from the perfect ones.
    Hi Steve, Here, you will be able to learn from the ones that you think are perfect; I do all the time :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie, I missed you by one week in La Jolla, I wish I could have met you. steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve torna View Post
    Thanks Artie, I missed you by one week in La Jolla, I wish I could have met you. steve
    :) Consider next year's San Diego IPT:
    • San Diego 4 1/2-DAY BIRDS AS ART IPT: JAN 11 thru and including the morning session on JAN 15, 2017: 4 1/2 days: $1999

Scroll down here for complete details: http://www.birdsasart.com/include-pages/ipt-updates/