Thread: Purple Sandpiper

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Purple Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

Yesterday we decided to drive down to Barnegat Light having heard reports of several shorebirds including Harlequin ducks, Long-tailed ducks, Common Loons, and one Purple Sandpiper. We navigated our way over the giant boulders, of the jetty getting ahead of the Harlequin ducks as the swam / flew near. I was focusing in on some Harlequins swimming by when Bill spots this Purple Sandpiper several feet below where he was setup. At one point the Sandpiper came within a foot or two of him. Non-breeding Purple Sandpipers like to feed predominantly upon mollusks as well as small crustaceans, annelid worms, and algae. C&C welcome.

Sorry you couldn't join us yesterday Grace, but there will be many more opportunities.

D4s, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 TC, 1/2500s, f 7.1, ISO 800, ff, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

This is virtually full frame. I added a bit more space to the left and cropped in a little on the right for composition.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good one, Geoffrey. I like the pose with the extended foot, the comp, the rocks and lovely background color of the Barnegat Inlet, with what I assume was some mossy rocks at the bottom. This accommodating little guy gave us lots of poses, but this was one of the best.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really nice.
    Lots of detail in the sandpiper ( as I would expect with a FF image).
    IQ is excellent and I like the stepping down position,
    Well done,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a nice image of this sandpiper. Pose, habitat, bg all sweet. What I think I like most is the color of this individual which really shows off the subtle purple color well...some are browner. (I know...I'm a bird nerd). One thing that I have noticed about this species is that the feathers around their face tend to look fuzzy, even when in focus, so I'd selectively sharpen his face, ever so slightly. Hope to join you next visit. Wish that this image was in my files!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose you have got here Geoffrey with nice colour and detail on the bird, lovely shot.

Keith.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grace Scalzo View Post
    What a nice image of this sandpiper. Pose, habitat, bg all sweet. What I think I like most is the color of this individual which really shows off the subtle purple color well...some are browner. (I know...I'm a bird nerd). One thing that I have noticed about this species is that the feathers around their face tend to look fuzzy, even when in focus, so I'd selectively sharpen his face, ever so slightly. Hope to join you next visit. Wish that this image was in my files!
    Thanks very much, Grace. The facial feathers are indeed very fine and I've done a little selective sharpening here.

GeoffreyName:  ©-2016-Geoffrey-Montagu-SDH•_1956-2-2-16-Barnegat-Light--Purple-Sandpiper.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  165.6 KB

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, I just want to say that I am learning quite just from studying your website. Your compositions are crisp, clean, and elegant and this one is no exception. TFS. steve