Thread: Little Owl Patrol

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little Owl Patrol

Attached Images Attached Images

At the end of last autumn an adult pair of little owls decided my front yard was a good place to teach their sibling how to march!

They spent hours on the wooden beams of my car port looking for cockroaches to eat, but it looked like they were marching up and down.

The fun and games would start at about 1am and continue til dawn. I had ample time to get my gear and shoot them through my living room window

D800e
    600mm f4 VR resting on window frame
    f5
    1/80
    ISO 800
    onboard flash fired

Cropped for composition, cloned out a few white spots on the wooden beam and darkened the pupils

Selective sharpening on subject

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thats nice !
    Different sort of shot of a LO Like flash stuff in the old days. Nice large pupil.
    Cheers
    JohnR

3. Thanks shane shacaluga thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice picture.. but for me i see too much flash, so the visual effect (for me) is a little bit flat, if you know what i mean ?!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Shane, I think the flash hasn't helped in the fine detail & clarity around the head, it's flattened out things, likewise you just have a yellow eye with no texture or depth. I would look if they are around later this year to get them in the daylight and avoid flash wherever possible. If you have to use flash keep it off camera and to a real minimum and purely for 'fill-in' this looks quite strong and the whites have flattened out as I said earlier. The image will be better for it and likewise the subjects welfare which is first & foremost in any shot. Personally I think you could lose some off the foot so that lighter area in the LHC is eliminated, or just 'brush in' some of the darker background in that area for continuity, a quick & easy fix.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments. I dont have an external flash so had to make to with the inbuilt one unfortunately and at 1am it was the only available light.

Will see if i find them out on a suitable perch. Only got them on my TV antenna in the afternoon this year

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Patience will pay off I'm sure Shane, however if they do appear then if budget allows, get an external flash.

Good luck.