Thread: Wild Barn owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wild Barn owl

One of a pair of Barn owls I have been watching for a number of years at a local site, I see plenty of activity just before and after first light and more so in Dec/Jan/and Feb Canon 1d mk3 400mm 5.6 iso 400 f8 1250/sec Name:  Barn-owl-January-30th-2016-(1-of-1)-10.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  376.5 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis:

One of the most beautiful species of owls IMO. I like his angle towards us, the strong sense of habitat, his intense gaze.

I might consider a small crop from the top to reduce the green band a bit.

The whites to the left of his eye (as viewed) and along the leading edge of the wing are perhaps bright enough that a little detail has been lost. Just a small tweak there would polish an already nice image.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A superb capture and habitat. I imagine that you have over exposed a touch too much as suggested by Randy. Also, the bright spots between the claws have been left bright. In my view ETTR should done judiciously.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It can be tough to get exposure correct in bright sunlight on this fabulous bird. I agree with cropping some off the top but overall a very good image.

Graham

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Barn Owls are always special. Nice flight shot, excellent shooting angle. Maybe less canvas at the top.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Dennis lovely details though my first reaction was the facial disc has some hot highlights and taming them (which I a feel confident is possible) would make this good shot very good indeed.
    The only other suggestion I have is to try a 3:2 crop or 16:9 the detail may become even better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  Barn owl  (1 of 1)-2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  292.2 KB

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it Dennis but would make the crop smaller (I mean make the bird small in the frame) and quality will increase even more. A little more space behind would be good.
    I think the white feathers on the face look a little better, I suspect they will always appear a little bright at first sight because of the angle of the sun, but I do I fully appreciate they are not blown.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer image!!! I wish it were mine since this is my nemesis owl. My first thought when I saw the image was to take a little off of the top, but I feel the pano crop is too much. I love how the light is hitting this owls face and you have many nice details. Well done.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook