Thread: New iMac

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default New iMac

Hi All

I have purchased a new iMac 27" MK482B/A 5K display for to use with photoshop cc 2015. I would like some advice please on what settings to use on colour profile, calibration, etc. This is my first iMac, so it is all new to me.

Thanks in advance

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Any of the good profiling packages will work. I like the Datacolor Spyder for simplicity of interface. Settings should be its default -- I think color temp 6500K (D65), 2.2 gamma, 140 cd/m2. Contrast ratio monitor default and color gamut monitor native, if they are offered as choices. (My monitor has its own software and don't remember if those are in the Spyder.

Many people like the XRite products also. The more expensive packages will just give you features you don't need. Once calibrated don't change anything on the monitor such as brightness or contrast.

Settings in PS are best set to Adobe RGB.

A quick search found this article:
    http://blog.conradchavez.com/2015/10...ina-late-2015/
    If yours is the same you have a wide-gamut monitor. Some people recommend using the ProPhoto workspace in PS but it is something that needs to be well-understood to use successfully. The monitor gamut is only a tiny bit wider than Adobe RGB, as is any printer anyone is likely to be using. The differences are not really noticeable. Sounds like a beautiful setup.

Calibration and profiling is system-wide so no need to do anything in PS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Diane,

I cannot find a way to open my images as a RAW file from photos. or from anywhere else. It opens the file as a jpg. The original files in photos folder are CR2 but when imported into Photoshop cc2015 they are jpg. It does not allow import of files from photos to Lightroom. If I create another folder, Lightroom can then open, but also as a jpg.

This is my system http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/?cid=wwa-uk-kwg-mac

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Something is really wrong there. If by "from photos" you mean that Mac app Photos -- forget it. It's low end for snapshooters with iPhones and the like.

You don't "import" into PS -- you just open a file into it, and it should open a raw file in Adobe Camera Raw. Try dragging a .cr2 file from a folder in the Finder oto the PS icon in the dock. (If one is not there, just drag it from the Applications folder to the dock -- that will make it a sort of shortcut. Open the PS folder in Applications and drag the actual program icon inside it.)

Maybe you have a preset somewhere to convert raw files into JPEGS. That would be a horrible mistake and would rely on some preset over which you have no control, but it sounds like you still have the raw files.

Sounds like you have LR -- that is the way to go. Go to my web site and download the 2 LR tutorials -- below my signature here. You want to "import" the raw files into LR (and no, it doesn't scatter **** all over your computer -- to the contrary, it makes it easy to organize things sensiblye and delete things you don't want). Then go to the Develop module, then send developed images to PS as needed.

You can try it on a single folder to start, and import others as you wish. Let me know if you have questions!
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 01-31-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typos

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane

The photo files on my computer are CR2 files, but, when i drag or drop them into PS they open as jpg. I am not getting the option to import my files from my card reader into Lightroom.

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, if you have a new monitor you may find you need to calibrate it more in the early stages as colour can drift. In addition I would suggest once switched on, you allow 20-30 minutes before doing any real 'colour' work and calibrating.

7. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When you drag a raw file into PS it should still show as .cr2 at the top of the screen until you save it. (What does it show there?) Then do a Save As if necessary to change the format to .psd. The picture will appear back in the same folder as the raw file and when you get LR working it will show in the same filmstrip, which shows all the files in the folder. You can sort them several ways.

In LR go to Preferences (under the LR menu) > General and choose the setting to show import dialog when a card in seen. If nothing happens, go to the Library menu and in the lower left, click Import. You can also import files (folders) already on the hard drive. Check my tutorial. If you haven’t gone through the preferences, you’ll need to make several other changes. All is explained in the tutorial.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A couple of months ago LR CC came out with an update that included an ill-founded redesign of the Import dialog that really messed up a logical person's ability to import. It's now fixed -- check to see if you have any updates. Same with PS, as the issues you describe don't make sense and shouldn't be happening.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, are you using El Capitan or OSX 10.10 Yosemite? New updates for LRCC & PSCC were available last week, you should be running LR6.3 (Camera raw 9.4) if you have it, suggest you do a manual Update check, PSCC is 2015 1.2 release.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve

I am using El Capitan and when i set it up on Saturday I downloaded from creative cloud PS and LR I thought it would be the latest version? CC does not show any updates for me, which they have done in the past. I think it is needing updated as from searching on Google for hours, there was some 'conflict' between 2015CC and Apple. My version of PS is 2015.1.2 20160113.r.355 2016/01/13:23: CL if this helps? My imac is iMac 27" MK482B/A Thanks Steve.

I will check out all those options Diane

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, I have not jump ship to El Capitan, I still don't think it 100% yet, but that's my POV. You may well have downloaded the latest version, but go into PS top menu Help > Updates, see what happens? LR offers the same option.

As I say, both LR & PSCC are working fine for me, but I'm not running EC, you may find, dare I say, reinstall Yosemite and see if you have the same issues? If you have Applecare you could also ask them for support, or contact Adobe: Tel 02073650735

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane. Tried all, but still nothing, Images are showing as .jpg in LR and PS, Its as if, imac is not allowing the RAW file to be moved, as a RAW file. I think I will have to wait for some sort of update. I try to update LR and PS, but both are showing no updates available on the CC Dashboard. Also the OS which was installed on my machine, appears not to be 'settled' as yet.

Hi Steve. I think I will have to wait. I dont think I can 'go back' on this set up. Not sure though. Anyway I dont fancy trying it on this new machine. I have never used a Mac before.

If anyone else is using PS on the same OS as me. that would be worth hearing about

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I dont think I can 'go back' on this set up.
    Will, you can do a complete reinstall, if you have just set things up, flatten the Mac and then reinstall everything, downloading from Adobe is easy, but as I said, you can talk to Apple or Adobe, whichever you think will provide the best support for your issues. Apple support is really good and incredibly patient, having spent four days with the hi tech guys, we all learnt something new when I had an issue a few months back.

I just think a clean install maybe the best route, but...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If this were a bug in both LR and PS in El Capitan we'd have heard a lot of screaming. What you're describing sounds very strange indeed.

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "Images are showing as .jpg in LR and PS, Its as if, imac is not allowing the RAW file to be moved, as a RAW file" A raw file isn't moved, it is cataloged in LR with a preview made of all the files in the folder you import. And it is opened in PS through the Adobe Camera Raw converter. Then you choose the format when you save it from PS.

Look through all the Pref's in both LR and PS -- something may be amiss there.

Do you have any low-end stuff on the computer such as the Canon software that comes on a disc with the camera -- or a Nikon equivalent? I've long since banished Canon Utility as it hogs processes from LR.

Choose one folder from your HD and do an "Import" to LR -- button in LL of Library module. Then when it's finished do a screenshot of the LR screen when you see the JPEGs. Hold down Cmd and Shift then hit "3". It will save a .png file of the entire screen that should appear on your desktop. If you downsize it to post here it will probably be too small to read, though. See if it will open in PS and convert to a JPEG at full size but reduce to quality about 7 (will be a lot smaller file than the .png) and email to me at dianedm@sonic.net. (Interested to see if THAT opens as a JPEG in PS.)

Have you used LR before or is it also new for you? If so, on what system?

I'm still on 10.10.5 (Yosemite). I don't upgrade for about a year after a new OS is out, but buying a new computer, you have no choice unless you get someone to customize it.

I would go to the Lightroom forum and post a description there. https://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom Then same thing on the PS forum, but keep each question specific to that application. Also try Apple support -- sometimes you get decent help there.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am getting there now I uninstalled both LR and PS. Found a way to stop the photos app from opening the card auto. Reinstalled both LR and PS I can now get LR to open my card and they are now in RAW. I have flirted with LR in the past, so I will have a good look at your tutorials Diane. So, all is looking good , so far...

Thanks for your help Diane and Steve, much appreciated.

PS Maybe the rain will stop here now, so I can get out get some new images for my new set up
    Last edited by William Dickson; 02-02-2016 at 05:41 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK — glad you got it sorted out! I hate it when these apps try to run your life for you. It’s always on the lowest common denominator.

If you have only flirted with LR, definitely go thru the tutorials. There are things there that you definitely need to know -- up front.

And questions always welcome.

18. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Will, I was just reading this thread as i am soon to either upgrade my 9yo iMac to the latest or mbp and monitor. How do you like your new shiny iMac? Any info is helpful.
    Thank you

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I love the new iMac. Everything to do with the processing is now so much better. I was doing everything on a laptop before, so it is like the difference between night and day I had teething issues, with PS 2015 cc to start with, but I soon overcome these and all seems to be good now. It is real fast, and everything flows as it should.

Hope this helps Ann, anything in particular you want to know about, let me know.

Will