Thread: California Brown Pelican

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default California Brown Pelican

Something a little different than the usual, here is a California brown pelican in its breeding plumage (not that it matters here). Focus point was made on the right foot. For some reasons, I enjoy the composition. I would like to know what you think about this. This photo is composed in camera, that is, the pelican's head is chopped off in the camera. Cropping was made to remove the lower portion of the frame and make it into 16:10 aspect ratio. Post-processing in Lightroom with locale exposure adjustments made to frame the feet better.

Name:  DSC_3904.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  286.7 KB

500mm, f/6.3, 1/320, ISO 2000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it a lot. Especially the mood. I would like to see a repost with the curve pulled up a bit for lighter overall. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

3. Thanks Adhika Lie thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with above. I like dark moody but mood isn't what you are after here so the image needs to be brighter. Well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie and Adrian,

Thanks so much for the comments. After another look at the image, your assessments on the darker tone are right. Thanks for the kind words on the composition. Here is a revision after bringing up that curve.

Name:  DSC_3904.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  304.5 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Adhika, I like the OP. Unusual and unique. His feet look like a patinated copper sculpture. Well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The OP was a bit underexposed as pointed out by Artie. Repost is better. I think this image has more potential if you crop it tighter to eliminate parts of the far wing/ I would also consider cleaning up the perch a little bit
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Even though the OP is underexposed overall, I think it brings out the best in the feet which was my original intention. But I do agree that it might create unnecessary mood (which could be detracting).

Arash, can you elaborate a little more about 'cleaning up the perch' part?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adhika Lie View Post
    Even though the OP is underexposed overall, I think it brings out the best in the feet which was my original intention. But I do agree that it might create unnecessary mood (which could be detracting).

it means cleaning i.e. cloning the droppings
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Adhika,

First off, I love the " patinated copper sculpture" comment by Glennie.

Second, while I love the "dark" mood, the image as originally presented was simply too dark. The repost was good.

Third, and this is major, if you want to produce the highest quality files with the most information, you need to expose to the right so that the highlight data is well into the right-mot histogram box, aka ETTR (expose to the right). When properly captured this image should have looked a bit washed out on the rear LCD. Then, you can darken it for mood or as needed in Photoshop.

Fourth: I cleaned up pretty much all of the whitewash on the rocks as Arash suggested. I used all of my usual clean-up tools primarily the Spot Healing Brush and the Patch Tool. They both blend rather than clone... In addition I did use the Clone Stamp a bit.

Fifth: I worked a bit to down down the brighter whitish area below the tail.

Sixth: everything in 4 and 5 above is covered in detail in my https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252. Along with dozens of other great Photoshop tips.

Seventh: at first I dismissed Arash's suggestion as far as a small crop from the right. But after I gave it some thought, I tried it. And liked it.

Eight: let me know what you think of my repost.

Ninth: May I have your permission to use this image in an educational blog post on my blog at www.BIRDSASART-Blog.com?

Tenth: We look forward to your joining our membership ranks :)

Eleventh: the more I look at the image the more I like it.

Twelfth: was this at La Jolla?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

11. Thanks Adhika Lie thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie & Arash,

Thanks for the thoughts you gave for this image. I did shoot this with -2/3 EV because I was in the center weighted average metering mode and I often find the camera over-exposing the scene because the center of the frame happened to be in the darker part of the bird. Looking at the histogram, it was only a tad underexpose but it was indeed shot at ISO 2000 which might be a little challenging. To give you an idea, here is a screen capture of the original after import in LR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	import.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	285.8 KB 
ID:	159156

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,

I like the tighter crop. I played with Arash's input yesterday and incorporated a few of your inputs as well. This is what I have come up with. I used the content aware fill to "clean up after these birds' mess" and I think it was very similar to yours. I am a little bothered by the breast here that showed slightly lack of contrast/hazy (not sure why). But the pelican was preening so it could be natural.

I didn't like the white wash close the the pelican's tail as well and I played a little bit with content aware fill to make that happen.

What do you think?

Name:  DSC_3904-Edit-2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  330.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Adhika,

Ninth: May I have your permission to use this image in an educational blog post on my blog at www.BIRDSASART-Blog.com?

Tenth: We look forward to your joining our membership ranks :)

Eleventh: the more I look at the image the more I like it.

Twelfth: was this at La Jolla?
    Go ahead and use it at the blog. I have benefited reading your blogs in the past six months I started delving into bird photography and I hope many others would learn from this exchanges as well. I really appreciate your kind words. Hearing that you like the image is an honor, sir. I attended your talk at the NAT and I actually shot this the day after at the cove. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie & Arash,

Thanks for the thoughts you gave for this image. I did shoot this with -2/3 EV because I was in the center weighted average metering mode and I often find the camera over-exposing the scene because the center of the frame happened to be in the darker part of the bird. Looking at the histogram, it was only a tad underexpose but it was indeed shot at ISO 2000 which might be a little challenging. To give you an idea, here is a screen capture of the original after import in LR.
    Howdy Adhika, I don't know from LR but it is good that the image looks brighter in the LR screen cap than when it was originally presented. The histogram looks OK. Do know that on your Flickr site most of the stuff as presented is way too dark :) a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Again, The repost in Pane 11 looks great, including the breast. a