Thread: Mac laptop recommendation?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mac laptop recommendation?

My mac laptop is about 8 years old...scarey, I know. Anyway, I am starting to look for a replacement. I need a laptop for travel. Any of you use a Mac laptop for photo editing? Recommendations of what to look for would be appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm into small and lightweight and love my 13" Retina MacPro, purchased about a year ago. It's the least expensive of the Retina models. The screen is a decent match to my calibrated NEC monitor.

Not really what you asked, but: I only do minimal editing while traveling, and it's been excellent for that. I have Lightroom write .xmp files for the images as I download while on the road, and copy and import the files to Lightroom on my "mainframe" when I'm home. I'm using the "write adjustments to .xmp" option, that won't store the black and white flags, membership in collections, virtual copies or the adjustment history steps (which I don't consider important). So the minimal work on the road is easily moved over without worrying about any possible issue with merging catalogs. Just copy and let LR import.

I carry two small travel drives to which I copy backup files daily, and which are stored indifferent pieces of luggage from the laptop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks...as a sort of followup, do you use Lightroom rather than Photoshop. I've used only PS so far.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I use LR rather than Adobe Camera Raw, which is the raw converter that comes with PS. They are the same conversion engine (same capabilities) but I prefer the interface in LR. And its image management capabilities are something I couldn't live (or at least do photography) without. PS itself is a separate program, which I definitely also use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have been using an Apple 15.4" MacBook Pro Notebook Computer with Retina Display & Force Touch Trackpad (Mid 2015) for well more than a year and loved every second of it (except when I was learning to use a Mac after 25+ years on a PC)> I do 100% of my editing and processing on the laptop. I only regret that I did not switch decades before I did... a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

6. Thanks Hazel Grant thanked for this post