Thread: Harlequin Duck - Local Rarity!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Harlequin Duck - Local Rarity!

Attached Images Attached Images

On my first visit to try my chance with this duck I had no luck finding it, but the goldeneyes more than made up for it. On my second visit the Harlequin Duck was right near shore, with another photographer already there. From behind some trees I slowly crept to it. The previous photographer left, so I set up and as soon as I pointed my lens towards it it took off as you see here. I was not prepared for that, but did fire off a couple of frames while frantically trying to keep focus on it, this one being sharp and with a good wing position - but much to forward in the frame (processing to the rescue!). It did come back, but just out of reach for redeeming photos.

This looks like a female at first glance, but upon closer look we can see faint colours and markings appearing that only the male will acquire. This young male will become one of the most beautiful ducks in North America, rivalling the Wood Duck!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/800s., f/7.1, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, added canvas in front (borrowed source material from another frame) then cropped behind, darkened the pupil.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:'

I enjoyed the story, and the image. The wing blur and flying water gives a strong sense of action. Well exposed. Nice job of adding the canvas.

His low position over the water and all the splashing reminds me of the commotion it takes for loons to take off.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations on getting a rarity. A lot of action here, good low perspective.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice dynamic pose with the water splash, Daniel. I shorter shutter speed would have been better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent work and post processing. I have to say that I like to see wing blur to give a sense of motion.