Thank You Posts

Default The Mating Game

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5D Mk3
    f/4 500mm with 1.4
    f/7.1
    1/320
    ISO 2500

Weather is still dreich over here, but managed to get out. This was captured from the lochside yesterday, from my portable hide. The Mallards were 'courting' big style, and after 'the event' he was obviously wanting more, as can be seen from his rampant look . The female had enough and dived, then swam away, with a smile on her face

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wil:

He does seem pretty proud of himself! Nice display of the various shades of green on the head. I could see a version with the color temp. raised just a sliver, and a very slight boost in the midtones.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, I like the low POV and the Mallards posture, and as Randy say's - 'pretty proud of himself', the 'S' shape of the head/neck emphasises this well. I wonder if you could have got away with f/5.6 which also would have bolstered a little on the SS. I could be wrong, but the sharpness of the head looks a bit off, as the lighter side plumage looks sharper? Might be worth opening the RAW in DPP to see where the FP was?

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments and advice, much appreciated Here is a repost as you suggested Randy. Yer probably correct Steve, I never thought, at the moment of capture, but I will next time

Name:  4--2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  398.2 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good tips and advice from Randy and Steve and I can see what they are getting at Will, but very well done getting what you got I do like the pose and those splashes.

Keith.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

He looks proud, almost strutting. Nice composition, lovely color palette. Thank you for sharing, Will.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the proud pose, behaviour, clean BG and composition. Well done Will!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture! He's obviously pleased with his conquest.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Love the pose. Good luck getting the female diving away.

Thoughts on the repost?

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just love the proud pose. Both reposts add a bit of "oomph" to the image and Artie's seems a bit sharper.
    When I first looked at this image it took me a bit to figure out what the brown feathers were at the back of the drake. I eventually figured it out before reading your narrative!
    Nice low POV,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose captured here, Will.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the whistling sound the drakes often make when assuming that pose. Neat behaviour. I'd likely remove the white line touching the back, but it's not too bad. Artie's repost with added contrast (or simply deeper blacks) punches things up.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Love the pose. Good luck getting the female diving away.

Thoughts on the repost?

a
    Yes its looking good Artie. As Daniel said the deeper blacks add more to the image. May I ask what you did.

Thanks for that.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    I just love the proud pose. Both reposts add a bit of "oomph" to the image and Artie's seems a bit sharper.
    When I first looked at this image it took me a bit to figure out what the brown feathers were at the back of the drake. I eventually figured it out before reading your narrative!
    Nice low POV, Gail
    I think that you meant the "back of the hen." a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Yes its looking good Artie. As Daniel said the deeper blacks add more to the image. May I ask what you did.

Thanks for that.

Will
    Thanks Bill, Selected the head with the Quick Selection tool and put it on its own layer. Applied my 25/25 recipe of NIK Color EFEX Pro Tonal Contrast/Detail Extractor at 100%. Followed that by a Contrast Mask: Unsharp Mask at 11/65/0. All of that on the layer with the head only. All as detailed in my Digital Basics File which includes dozens of great Photoshop tips.

16. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent behaviour capture. I will not refer to comments above which cover everything except one point. The upper bill line has an artefact. This may be the result of selection or there has been image bleeding from the bright area of the bill into the background.

18. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post