Thread: Another day with the Red-tailed Hawk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another day with the Red-tailed Hawk

Attached Images Attached Images

We had a little light today (nice and soft) so I went back to where I found the hawk, and had some luck. Took the 600 II with 1.4X III. Had the 7D2 on but will try the 5D3 next time, hoping for a little less noise.

ISO 800, f/7.1, 1/2500. Was hoping to get some action but probably better to have gone to ISO 400. Full frame, only a very slight crop from the bottom to minimize the branches in the LR, but tried to leave enough room for the virtual feet. Basic LR adjustments; into PS to burn the bottom a little and did NR on the BG but not sure it was needed on this one. Darkened the blacks in the eye a little.

C&C always welcome!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the intense look. Beautiful bird, nice composition. Thank you for sharing, Diane.

P.S. I wondered why you didn't use the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom for the area you burned?
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What another beautiful image in this series, Diane. The light is perfect as well as the detail. Like the perch also, and the complimentary BG.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Joseph! The Adjustment Brush in LR is very handy, but if I'm going to PS anyway (and it's just a click away) I like the control I have doing a masked adjustment layer there. I usually use Curves (which also has color channels) but I can get fancy if I want and make a Group and mask it and put in it any number of adjustment layers using the same mask, and then can edit the shape of the mask by painting on it later, if I see a need after doing the adjustments.

I like to keep the doors behind me unlocked.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the exposure, sharpness, details, feather pattern and complimentary BG. Beautiful image Dianne!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image is the best of the series so far, Diane. Good composition but I would have rather put the bird to the left from center.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

"Dumb luck" has paid off again! This is my favourite Diane. Super details and colours. I love his ruffled hairdo and the little white feathers that stick out the side. BG is gorgeous...and no noise seen anywhere. Can you tell me where he was positioned in relation to yourself...your POV?

Perfect.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone! Karl, this is full frame. (I'm not used to having too much glass!) Should have removed the TC -- it will be off (or I'll use the 5D3) next time there. I backed up and he flew, but managed a few more encounters over the next hour or so. This was the best light of the day, though.

Glennie, he was about at my eye level in a scrubby bush. I'm not good at estimating distances but I was a lot closer than I expected to get. Best guess is about 30-40 ft. Apparently juvie red-tails are more tolerant of people than the adults.

When I first spotted him (before the above shot), although it was foggy with heavy overcast I was on the shady side. I carefully worked my way toward the sunnier side, being careful not to make eye contact. When I had gotten to what I thought was a good distance I turned around and he was gone! Expletives deleted. And then I saw him. Almost within my close focus distance, apparently trying without success to nail something! (No time to consider my settings and he was gone again.) Wish I hadn't cut off his head.

Again, full frame, just basic LR here.

Name:  red-tailed-hawk-closeup_I0A4102.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  382.4 KB
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 01-21-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A superb portrait Diane with a nice head turn and showing the bird's crown feathers during a state of arousal which is icing on the cake. The detail in and around the eye is very impressive. I might be inclined to increase the contrast by a small margin... for my taste.
    Head portrait....very impressive!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree - best of the series Diane.
    Great quality. I also agree- raised rest helps !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Best so far! Good composition, lovely IQ and foliage adds to the image in this case. BG compliments subject too

Good work on getting close and on the right side of the light

As you mention I am pretty sure this is a male.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice I love the tight shot of just the head beautiful

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image is perfect, in my book. Of course, a great species, your colors look spot on, the background is complimentary and the foreground adds habitat and color. Sharpness, exposure, couldn't ask for better. Love the raised feathers on his (or her?) head. I'd print this one large and frame it. Congrats on this piece of work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet. Excellent work with fieldcraft, camera and PP. All has been said. I would have liked just a tad more room on the left, but you have explained how close you were. More than once I've wished I had taken off the TC. The detail on the head shot is spectacular.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific shot Diane well captured and beautifully processed, one to be proud of.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, everyone! I'll be back down there every day it isn't raining, for as long as I keep finding him. Need more of him doing something!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic Portrait here ....loved it ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Diane. The shrubbery framing the bird and the BG put this capture over the top. Tack sharp and perfect exposure with soft light!