Thread: Care for gear in very cold weather

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Care for gear in very cold weather

Hi Folks, I would like to know how i handle my equipment in extremely cold weather. When I go out in the morning into a cold car what should i be doing to acclimate my gear? Also, i will be driving around in search of birds and i have read that you don't put on the heat? And, you drive with the window open? What can go wrong (sensor, glass...) what to do if that does happen? Thanks very much Ann

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your gear doesn't need any care in cold weather.

what you have heard about putting on the heat is not for protection of your gear but to reduce the chances of heat shimmers that can affect focus/sharpness. in a very cold day the heat that rises from the engine can causes refraction and in turn photos that are soft/hazy
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Arash, my kit has been down to -35 in Finland with no issues, just don't touch your tripod with bare hands for long periods.

The only issue I have experience was about 5 years ago at Boundary Bay when the kit had been in extreme wet conditions of 'biblical' proportions. Both, the Lenscoat Raincoat Pro and the neoprene did little and were completely wet, water just ran off all the kit, but it just kept working. However, bringing back the gear in the car with the heat on, the lens did fog for a short time.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You don't define "cold", but in CT, I'm guessing that it's usually above -10F. If that's the case, then no special care is required. In Colorado, I'm often out in single-digit weather and the main worry is keeping the gear from getting too warm in the car. I keep a window rolled down and the heat level down, relying on my heated seat and outerwear to keep me comfy. You don't want to stop the car, jump out, or stick the lens out the window and have it fog. Dry, dusty snow is no real concern, just brush it off. With a wet, heavy snow, protect as you would in the rain. I keep an extra battery in my vest, but I've never needed it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

depending on your camera, battery life could be short in extremely cold weather. The 1DX is fine. My first T3i had a very short battery when shooting in Yellowstone during winter many years. The other thing to pay attention to is when you bring your cold gear back into a warm place. I pack my gear in my bag before coming into the house and let it warm up gradually. Too much temperature difference from cold to hot could cause condensation.

Worry more about your gloves. I use a thin pair and down mitten outside, use hand warmer and boot warmer on very cold ~ < 10F. Don't underestimate how cold it can be when you are out on the snow for a couple of hours. It can hurt very badly if you don't have the proper gloves.

Loi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto Arash. Your gear will be fine in the cold. Keeping the heat of thr car off while scouting roads is exactly to avoid heat shimmer that results when the heat escapes out the open window. The same happens if you photograph from a warm room through an open window during cold weather.

BTW, I do heat up the car when I leave home for the main drive, but when I am a few minutes from the roads I will be photographing on is when I turn the heat off and lower the windows (first the passenger down all the way, mine about 1/3...and then fully down when I get really close). By the time I arrive the heat has all escaped out.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Hi Folks, I would like to know how i handle my equipment in extremely cold weather. When I go out in the morning into a cold car what should i be doing to acclimate my gear? Also, i will be driving around in search of birds and i have read that you don't put on the heat? And, you drive with the window open? What can go wrong (sensor, glass...) what to do if that does happen? Thanks very much Ann
    I drive with a window down and the heat on low and the seat warmer on full. I don't want the lens toasty around 60-F and then stick it out the window, where it's 20-F or lower. If humidity is at all high, you could fog the lens.

Also, when hunting birds from the car, being able to hear is very helpful. A pheasant cock will often give himself away. I almost always hear a kingfisher before seeing them. Chickadees and other small bird can be heard peeping near the roadside.