Thread: How to travel with photo gear?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default How to travel with photo gear?

I was on my way home from shooting ducks, when I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a teenager on a push bike. I was literally two minutes from home. Camera (5D2) and brand new Sigma 150-600mm Sport Lens on the back seat of the car went flying off the seat. I don't believe there is any damage, but is there a general check I can do to make sure everything is how it should be? I have taken some test shots and all looks OK.

I generally keep the camera and lens, I am using at the time, close by me in the car. No carry bag. Maybe this is a lesson hard learnt?

Any advice on checking the camera and lens, or comments on how you carry your equipment is much appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glennie

I have a 1D4 & Canon 500F4 that has a good sized foot on it. When ever i decide to drive to a local park or reserve without all my gear I will spin the foot to the top, sit the combo on the back seat and wrap the seat belt around the lens foot.. I have never had to brake suddenly with this on the back seat so i am not going to say its the answer, but I think it should help. Obviously a case or bag secured would be best, and is what i alway do if travelling more that a few KM...

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When I travel to, from and around my local nature sanctuary, I carry two cameras, with lens attached on the seat neaxt to me. I'm aware that they are there and occasionally put a hand on one to keep it from moving. I've insured them for replacement value and seven-years in, haven't had reason to call my agent.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I rely on luck -- my best strategy for almost everything. I also like to keep the camera in the passenger seat. I have the rather substantial BLUBB bean bag and cram it ahead of the camera and hope for the best. That way I can grab both quickly. After the photo ops are over (back on the highway where I couldn't stop if I wanted to) the camera goes back in the bag -- a Lowepro long lens backpack for the bigger teles -- and is stowed in the cargo compartment of my Outback, wedged with a big tripod and other stuff.

Sometimes one will go in the floor with a heavy blanket or foam pad under it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Don, David and Diane. Some good hints here. I do like the idea of a solid bean bag on top and wedged.All my gear is insured, so not a complete disaster if a mishap finds me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I keep a pillow on the passenger front seat and a big soft towel on the floor. The 600 II is angled with the hood on the towel and the distal end of the lens barrel resting on the pillow which is set onto the right side of the console of my SUV. The 100-400 II goes on a pillow on the passenger seat well towards the rear. All that only when driving slowly looking for subjects. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

7. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is fun. When driving around The Bosque, I keep a 1DX/500 on the passenger seat with a quilt bunched under the point of attachment, and the remainder of the quilt arranged to provide some impact protection. When traveling on a highway, I keep a 5DIII/70-100 on the passenger seat inside a Think Tank Digital Holster 50 with the top unzipped. It will hold a pro camera with 100-400, 300 f/4, 400 f/5.6, or 70-200. The end can be unzipped and extended to accommodate the lens hood. Some protection with quick access.