Thread: Flash technique

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flash technique

Are there any online tutorials that can explain the use of flash and bird photography. I saw mention of the Better Beamer, etc but have not found anything on application ( when to use it, settings such as TTL or manual 1/2 power, etc). Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey John,

Have a look online for the tutorial book from Glenn Bartley - it only costs $20.00 and is as good a guide as you will find. Explains things well and is a straightforward, practical guide.

Here is the link: http://www.glennbartley.com/FlashEbook.html

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A Better Beamer really amplifies the light and how far it is projected, so you got to be careful not to make the use of flash obvious. Realizing that distance to subject is a factor and will make ideal settings vary, a general starting point would be to set the flash to the shortest "zoom" setting and dialing in some negative FEC (flash exposure compensation). Experiment from there. Your best tool would be a small plush toy set outdoors and practice on it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I saw Glenn's video and also did some experimenting on my own. I was using TTL and high speed sync, but may be not correctly, as I was shooting into a shady area and it did not seem to light up the subject very much at all. This was probably at 75 to 100 feet away with the better beamer and zoom set to 105mm on the flash.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Flash "power" will be limited by low ISO, and high speed sync will lower "power" significantly as it simply fires a very rapid (thus short duration) burst to ensure that some of the light occurs during the short shutter opening. Be aware that power is actually flash duration, which is all that can change. The "brightness" is fixed. Learn to use M mode for best results. It will take some calibration for each situation.

There are limits to the reach of the simple on-camera flash units, which you can easily check for your setup.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Myers View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I saw Glenn's video and also did some experimenting on my own. I was using TTL and high speed sync, but may be not correctly, as I was shooting into a shady area and it did not seem to light up the subject very much at all. This was probably at 75 to 100 feet away with the better beamer and zoom set to 105mm on the flash.
    What's the flash/lens/camera you are using?

100 ft is quite far even with BB. Your best bet is to increase the flash power manually by +2 or +3 stops and lower your SS as much as your subject permits. In high speed sync flash cannot deliver all of its power at the short duration when the shutter is open so the usual guide numbers don't apply.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey John,
    The video doesn't tell you much - you really should get the ebook and read that several times over. It is very practical.

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, 100ft is far. My initial settings recommendations were for birds that were already big enough in the frame that no or little cropping is required and used as fill.
    Last edited by Daniel Cadieux; 01-20-2016 at 08:01 AM.