Thread: Theme: American Tree Sparrow in storm

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Theme: American Tree Sparrow in storm

Attached Images Attached Images

There were a few tree sparrows flitting about on the reeds during some snow showers. Wish I had more dof as detail is lost in the tail and whites nearby. Processed in DPP, cropped about 50%, increased exposure.83, reduced highlight -1, then in PS, smart sharpen, added some contrast, noise reduction, and removed a few snow blobs. Any suggestions to make the eye more attractive? All comments appreciated.

Canon 1DX
    500mm
    iso 2500
    ss 1/1600
    f 4.0
    Last edited by annmpacheco; 01-08-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very evocative winter image. Yes, some more DOF might have been nice, but it looks reasonably sharp where it matters. Lovely color palette. The eye looks pretty good to me. [ps, I'm surprised you still have Chippies around. Ours all left more than a month ago, to be replaced with White-throats.]
    Last edited by Bill Dix; 01-08-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the complimentary BG, winter feel and composition. I would like a little more of a head turn our way and wish the rear foot was not blocked but I would still be happy to have this in my files. Very well done Ann!
    Last edited by Jim Crosswell; 01-08-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann,

I love this scene! The 50% crop may have added noise in the background, but interestingly the noise seems fitting to me with the lighting and bokeh of snowflakes. Certainly an artificial catchlight can be created in the eye, but I am not certain that would seem natural considering the weather. Perhaps you may consider to bring up the subtle highlight reflection in the eye? That may do the trick :)

TFS-Ross

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super nice winter scene here, something that the American Tree Sparrows love (this is what you have photographed here). Good pose, perch, and I love the falling snow. Dof is fine for my tastes, it's just that critical focus seems to be on the stem/foot/shoulder areas thus making the details on the face a tad less crisp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Oops thanks Daniel for correcting my misidentification , American tree sparrow it is , looking forward to your review of the 7DII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, lovely setting to fit the the monthly theme, and I do like the falling snow. I like the plumage detail and colours, as well as the colour to the BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann,
    Glad to see your thread was unlocked.
    Good image for the theme.
    Love the snowflakes and the POV.
    I think the critical focus was on the feet and the head has ever so slightly fallen out of DOF but I think this could easily be fixed with a bit more sharpening on the head.
    Gail