Thread: Like Fine Detail?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Like Fine Detail?

Attached Images Attached Images

Snow Goose, adult head portrait. Bosque del Apache NWR, NM

This image was created at Bosque del Apache on the 2nd afternoon of the first 2015 IPT with the Induro GIT 304L tripod/Mongoose M3.6-mounted BLUBB-supported Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 1.4X III,, and the incredible Canon EOS 5DS R. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1/3 stop: 1/1600 sec. at f/9 in Manual mode. AWB.

Center AF point/AI Servo Expand/Rear Focus AF just behind and below the base of the bird’s lower mandible was active at the moment of exposure. As a result, the active AF point was precisely on the same plane as the bird’s eye. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

To learn how and why I had to rescue this one from the trash, see the blog post here.

As for the image, see the 100% crop in the next pane. Otherwise, all comments are welcome and appreciated. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an unsharpened 100% crop of today’s featured image. It wound up being 1200 pixels wide and is displayed here at 800 pixels wide after being optimized to < 395 kb (from about 475 kb). Click on the image if you dare to see a larger version....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice detail indeed that pops in the dark blue background. I have seen the blog....sick detail. Looks like a great camera and maybe many people with change their medium format now.

4. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

can't beat that sensor! such clean sharp crop. did you use DPP ?
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    can't beat that sensor! such clean sharp crop. did you use DPP ?
    Of course. I have used nothing else for the last three years. I love the color. And the simplicity. Especially when you save a recipe for each camera/ISO combo with all of your recommended settings.... For the 5DS R I have been using your 5D III NR values. I need to get you some 5DS R raw files. I worked an ISO 3200 5DS R image this morning and it looked pretty good... Folks can learn about our DPP 4 RAW Conversion Guide here.

Here is a technical question for you: should it theoretically be more difficult to make sharp images with this camera rather than with previous Canon bodies because of the pixel pitch?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The detail on this is outstanding, really does stand out against that bg.

Keith.

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing detail and excellent exposure on the whites. I really like the way the bird pops from the dark blue background. Thanks for showing this.

David

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great portrait, amazing details, nice background and composition.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Crazy level of detail. Really pops.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Of course. I have used nothing else for the last three years. I love the color. And the simplicity. Especially when you save a recipe for each camera/ISO combo with all of your recommended settings.... For the 5DS R I have been using your 5D III NR values. I need to get you some 5DS R raw files. I worked an ISO 3200 5DS R image this morning and it looked pretty good... Folks can learn about our DPP 4 RAW Conversion Guide here.

Here is a technical question for you: should it theoretically be more difficult to make sharp images with this camera rather than with previous Canon bodies because of the pixel pitch?
    It should be even easier with the right operator in command :) The R doesn't have a low pass filter so it doesn't need much sharpening to make razor sharp files. Some of the low end/third party lenses may struggle with this sensor to deliver the resolution it demands but not the big whites.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb detail here. The whites look amazing!
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I think your 100% crop shows off the detail wonderfully. Truly would be a great camera for really large prints. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

16. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post