Thread: Blackburnian Warbler

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blackburnian Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

This was taken in spring last year just down the street from my house. The HA is not ideal but I just couldn't bin this image. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 1D MK IV
    500L f4
    1.4 Extender
    ISO 1000
    f10
    1/500s
    Tripod

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jim we don't get many of these little beauties in our Blackburn that's for sure. I certainly wouldn't bin it either, a very nice shot it would have been ideal with a slight head turn but nevertheless a feast to the eyes!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the head angle is good enough, Jim. beautiful image, love the fresh light green Spring foliage and the nice looking Warbler.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great colours throughout the image Jim. Very appealing and pleasing to the eye. Nice detail on the bird.

Will

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image, Jim. It has a great spring feel. A good looking Warbler captured in nice detail, and I like the green branch/perch.

Geoffrey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would definitely NOT bin it!
    Excellent IQ and lovely colors that make me hope for spring. We had our first snowstorm here yesterday!
    Great eye level view.
    Yes, a head turn our way would make it better but it is still a lovely image.
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image, Jim. I am puzzled why you find a problem with the HA. To me the head angle is fine, I believe it is how the light affects the head rather than if the bird appears to be looking at me. The head here is slightly in a shadow which you should be able to open in post processing. That was caused because the light was off angle from the left as shown by where the catch light is. What would bug me more is the out of focus dark branch on the right which I would smooth out and make disappear in post processing. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jim you can pop this one in my bin anytime, I honestly can't see any problem with the head turn, excellent detail and colour.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the light-toned greenery. Note, however, that the head angle is perfect and that the bird's body that is actually angled slightly away from us. What bugs me is that the perch protrudes towards us and is well past the point of focus.... I know how quickly these guys move and how difficult they are to photograph; in an ideal world one large step to your right as he held the pose would have been great . Yeah, fat chance of that. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.