Default Black-capped Chickadee

_69Y9482-Edit by rgollar, on Flickr

Canon 1dx and 400mm prime lens
    f/5.6
    1/800
    ISO 4000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely little bird Richard, very similar to coal tits this side of the pond.

Unfortunately, the perch has caused significant issues with this shot. Firstly, the nearest out of focus part that covers the tail is very distracting and does your Chickadee no favours. However, even without that, the rest of the perch isn't particularly flattering. I don't mind the bird being so small in the frame but for it to work I think you needed your subject perched on an attractive twig or branch.

Given the seed in the mouth, I'm guessing this is part of a feeder setup. If you can change things, it may be worth trying to put some perches near to the feeder in the hope some birds will hop onto a more natural looking perch before going for the seed. If it's your setup you can then look to control the light angle and look for a smooth uncluttered background.

Keep at it, I'd like to see what you can come up with by making a couple of changes.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Mike for the great suggestions on how to improve these types of photos. After reading you comments it made so much sense what your saying. I think this will greatly improve future shots. Thanks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Peter Kes for the suggestion. I have been so dialed in on getting a properly exposed image and getting it as sharp as I can that I totally neglected the surroundings. Now on to better the background and make it look more natural.