Thread: American Widgeon in Fog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Widgeon in Fog

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an older image from Bosque, 2011, the year that was so cold. As my friends and I drove to Soccoro, the interstate closed behind us due to ice and snow. Followed by the refuge closing for two days due to cold then two days due to mud from all the melting. Not to be deterred, a couple of us intrepid souls decided to scout Soccoro and found a golf course where there were some tame ducks. The water was warmer than the air and steam was rising. The sun was out, and lit up some nice colors. This fellow had ice on his back as he swam over to see what we were doing. I thought it made for an interesting photo, but not sure how it will translate.

Canon 1d4, 500f4, handheld (Tripod and I got separated- it was in another car)

1/800, f8, iso400

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

"This is an older image from Bosque, 2011, the year that was so cold." I was there in the middle of a snow storm escaping from the Canadian winter.
    Nice and different image Grace, I like it. I like the way the light shines through hitting the duck here and there.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really interesting image which to me conveys the cold and mist of a winter morning. Lovely lighting bringing out the head plumage.He was probably coming to see if you would feed him!
    Last edited by David Cowling; 12-16-2015 at 11:58 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've never been to Bosque, but I remember reading stories about that year over there. Pretty cool (literally) to see ice on the back. The incoming pose is good - David is probably right about it wanting to be fed :-) I know it is supposed to be foggy/misty but I get the urge to pull up the veil when looking at the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image works because of your story but without the story I feel it is just a bit too foggy.
    I do love the ice on the back.
    Have you tried a version with a touch more clarity?
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Grace, lovely low angle, and I really like those colours on the head. Good placement in the frame, and another viewer who likes the ice on the back.